Sunday, January 06, 2013

Countdown to exam.

Aaagh! Only 15 days till my exam! OMG, OMG, OMG! I went to a salon yesterday and got my hair trimmed and an acid-peel facial. When I got home, I laid down to take a quick nap. The cat got up on my bed and started cleaning herself right next to my head. I got frustrated and picked her up to move her, when her claws struck out and she sliced me across the nose. Now I have raw skin and a razor slice across my nose that's bleeding. I'm not sure what I can put on it to keep it from scarring. It's a diagonal slice that goes right through the scar I already have. Today, I must study. I need to do laundry also, but the good news is we are on 8-hour days this week. So I actually can do laundry after work on Monday if I want. I'm going to take a refreshing shower, make a pot of coffee, and get to crackin' on those books. I'm excited and nervous. Have I studied enough? Do I learn as well as I used to? I'm getting to the point where I don't trust my brain anymore. Used to be, I could read something, then take a test and get 100%. Now, that's not the case. I am reading the material, then taking a fake-test, and only getting about 70% of it. Not to mention all the errors in the material to begin with... I know the fill ratios of cable in conduit. The book says something entirely different. If I have to answer by what the book says - I'm in trouble. It says you can put up to 155 cables in a 4 inch sleeve at a 60% fill ratio. I KNOW for a fact that you can only put 96 cables in a 4 inch sleeve and that it's about 80% fill ratio. I don't let my crews make any bundles larger than 96 cables anyway. The weight of the bundle would crush the bottom cables if you went any larger than that. I also know that you can put 12 cables in a 1" sleeve MAXIMUM, 9 is preferred. Then there's the pull-box section. It specifies a 4"X8" pull-box on 1" conduit runs. We usually use 4x4 boxes, sometimes 6X6. I never get pull-boxes that aren't square. For a 4" conduit, it specifies 12"X60" pull-box. Really? A 5-foot-long pull box? A 24X24 box works JUST FINE. If you have more than 96 cables, you need more 4" sleeves or some lay-in basket tray. When I'm designing a closet, I just take the amount of cables and divide by 96, round up for future expansion. I also add-in the backbone and the fiber innerduct, and voila'- I never miss. It's the parts of the books that I disagree with that I remember the best. So maybe I should just disagree with the whole thing! And don't you find it annoying that I have to memorize what YEARS certain entities were incorporated? Bicsi was incorporated in 1977. Prior to 1967 the organization that set the standards in telecommunications was BICS. The EIA/TIA was founded in... Goodness! I'd better memorize who the book was dedicated to: Just In Case it's a bonus question. Peace, Love, and Prosperity. MsAmber

No comments: