Saturday, December 15, 2012

Looking for a project.

I've noticed lately that my thoughts regress too often to the negative. I'm not able to hang on to the "sunny side". I can blame it on the time of the year, the time of the month, or even on the amount of obstacles that keep diving into my path. But it seems that I'm missing something... something of vital importance. A Goal. I know that I tend to look backwards when I don't have something to look forward to... I did schedule my RCDD exam for the 22nd of January. That's a small goal. I can divert my spare energy into studying and preparing for that. I don't think it's enough though... I need a brain-diversion. Something so exciting that it occupies my dreams and waking daydreams. A Great Big Project. I'm thinking of buying a House. A project-house. A fixer-upper. Something that I can focus my energy and my budget into, with a future promise of returns or even a future place to call home. The only problem is: Where? I could live anywhere actually - I just haven't decided yet. As much as I know about the whole United States, I could pick someplace Geographically sensible. South-Eastern Oklahoma is very appealing, and it's midway between two major cities, but it's not very fertile. I could pick an old-country, mountainous setting - Kentucky, Virginia, or Tennessee. I kinda like the idea of a good sized wooded lot, maybe 15 miles away from a town, or an old house with 3+ acres or so on the outskirts of a town. Enough land to enjoy but not so much that it becomes burdensome. I know I couldn't be within a town, because I'm not all that capable of keeping the front lawn mowed and other "zoning" issues that may come up when I'm out working for months at a time. I'm fond of places in Arkansas; Missouri; Oklahoma; Louisiana; Tennessee; Kentucky; South Carolina; Ohio; Virginia; and Alabama. Well, THAT narrows it down...LOL. The place must have Water. A well or a pond. I don't want to be on anyone's city water, or at least have an option not to be. That's definitely a particular concern of mine. Water is important. I don't want to be isolated or hidden in the back-40. I'm not looking for a hermit-lodge, but at one time I thought I would like that. The house need not be Huge, but it needs to be interesting. Strange floor plan, or unusual architecture, something interesting and challenging. I abhor square houses and sheetrock. Yeah, I know... Bonus points for: porches, courtyards, windows, open floor plans, round rooms, root-cellars, usable attics, 8-foot ceilings, trees, oil-fired heat, detached garage, and flat yard space.

No comments: