Thursday, December 13, 2012

Facebook: A tutorial

Facebook: A tutorial. 1. When you join facebook, you basically have two screens. One is your “Wall”, where people can share information directly with you by “Writing/posting on your Wall”, or by selecting something on their own facebook, clicking share, and selecting or typing in your name. 2. The “Wall” is what visitors to your facebook page see, along with a few menu items like: Friends, Photos, Maps, or “Likes”. The visitor can click on the menu items and check out your photos, or places you’ve pinpointed to have been, or anything you have “Liked”. They CAN ALSO browse through the people you have “Friended”. 3. If they browse through your friends, and let’s say: They see “George” on there and they want to see what “George” is up to on Facebook, based on HIS privacy settings: (Friends Only or Public). They can click and Facebook will either show a minimal screen with his name and description and a button that says Content restricted to Friends Only, Do you know “George”, if so click here to send him a friend request. Or if his privacy settings are Public, then they will be able to see “George” and the activity on his “Wall”. They could then click through George’s friends (and his friends’ friends) and keep going ad-finitem. It’s generally considered in bad taste to just cruise through friends’ friend lists. (You are friends with George who is friends with Amy who is related to Josh who broke up with my sister…) There is truly only 6-degrees of separation between any two people on this entire earth, social networking has made that painfully clear. 4. The other screen that YOU have access to is called “Home”. “Home” is like an RSS feed where you can see all the activity on all the facebooks of all your friends in one place. Your friends do not see your “Home”, so it’s not like a billboard service. When you respond to something “George” posted on HIS wall from your “Home” page, it will show up on George’s “Wall”. 5. In essence: The only way I could be an embarrassment to you on Facebook would be A: Post something offensive on your “Wall”. B: Share something offensive with you specifically. C: One of your friends snooping through your friends list and clicked on me and was shocked at my “Wall”. (Probably shouldn’t happen, but yes, it could. My privacy settings are set to Public.) There is also this option to “hide” status updates from people who are annoying: Just copy and paste into your browser – it’s safe. http://www.askdavetaylor.com/how_to_screen_filter_out_facebook_status_updates.html I don’t get the status updates from all my friends, because frankly, some of them are so active that it bores me to death to get through their “Farmville” requests and irrelevant chatter. So I just GO to their facebook page every once in a while to catch up on what’s going on, then I’m satisfied that everyone is safe, reasonably happy, and it’s “snafu”. Realizing that you probably don’t share my sense of humor or have anything in common with the life that I live, I understand that you perceive my updates out of context. Kind of like when Grandma was concerned that I was joining a cult when I announced the “End of the World, Zombie apocalypse” for the last day of my project. And, yes, in polite company, I may even be inappropriate – so I understand completely why you “Unfriended” me. However, in my defense, I work in construction, with men, I wear boots and get dirty and enjoy a beer now and again, so I don’t really hang with the “Sesame Street” crowd and probably never will. I cuss a little, but not too much. I think I’m a normal, red-blooded, blue-collar, underpaid, hard-working, good-hearted woman. Anybody who doesn’t get that or doesn’t like it can kiss my Gluteus Maximus.

No comments: