Friday, July 23, 2010

Yup, still in Altus.

Okay, this is really a one-horse town.
There is nothing to do except play Bingo on Friday/Saturday nights.

I bought a Keurig coffee maker. My old one takes too damn long to serve me up a cup of coffee in the morning. It was also getting pretty kruddy inside, so I was due for a new coffeepot anyway. I'm drinking my first cup of hazelnut coffee right now.

I bought a Stevens Savage model 620 - 20 gauge shotgun. It's an old pump action that has been well taken care of. It has a poly choke 5-way on the end of the barrel. It's a very pretty little shotgun. I want to buy some shells and take it out this weekend to see how she does. I'm going to break it down and clean it tonight. I looked up the breakdown instructions, already tried it, seems very simple. It had a wooden block in the shell cartridge so that it only holds two shells. I called uncle Chuck about the gun, he has some good information, but was unable to tell me anything about the poly choke. I removed the wooden block, but when you are hunting duck, you are only allowed to have three shells in the gun. I asked why you can't just put three shells in, why do you have to put a wooden dowel in it? I suppose to make sure you never have more than three shells in the gun. That seems a little silly to me.

Anyway, I like it. Maybe I'll show it to Rob and get his take on it. Uncle Chuck suggested sawing off the barrel. Nah. I like it just the way it is. No scratches or dents - it's beautiful for a 50+ year old gun.

I'm getting pretty close to my time of the month, so I'm exceptionally irritable and easily annoyed. I've been feeling sick for three days. Back aches, neck aches, top of shoulders ache. My stomach is sticking straight out like a big fat cow (Moo!). I can't go poop. I'm covered with bug bites and bruises, and big bites WITH bruises, and bruises with bug bites. I have a sore on my top lip (actually it's from chewing on my top lip) from tweeking on caffeine. I'm cold when I should be hot and I break out in a sweat 15 minutes after I'm back in the cold air conditioning.
This is what happens when I work in an air conditioned building in the heat of the summer. I always come down sick - what? Strep? A summer cold?
Yeah, I'm feeling sorry for myself today. This is day three of feeling like crap.

I already wiped everything down with pine-sol, just in case.

Freydis is still crazier than hell. Four ounces of badass. I really need to get some pictures of her at her funniest. You should see how she looks if I wake her up in the middle of the day, she sits back on her tail and has a three-point stance with one arm sticking straight out to the side. She looks like a drunk squirrel reaching for her bottle. I feel guilty keeping her in her cage, so I let her roam too much. I have to hunt for her every morning to make sure she's okay. I've plugged all the important holes - like the center cone of my bass speaker. This morning I found her in the toaster. Now that's ruined. Good thing it was unplugged. I don't mind when I find her in a vase or behind the books on the shelf, but I kinda got spooked to think she would climb into a toaster. Talk about kid-proofing a house... have you ever had to squirrel proof? There are all kinds of little dangers lurking around. I'm glad she's not a rodent. She doesn't have the desire to chew on stuff or I'd worry myself to death.
I just hate to keep her in a cage all the time. So far it's working out okay to let her have a little freedom - I just wish she would return to her cage when I tell her to instead of having to CATCH HER!
There's slapstick if I ever saw it.

You have a great night, I have a gun to clean.

MsAmber

No comments: