Friday, December 11, 2009

Leaving El Reno . . . again.

Yayyy. The job is done.
Wednesday, the mission was to install a T-1 card into the old switch and Ma-Bell was porting over all the phone numbers to the T-1.
Well, Ma-Bell ported the numbers at 2:00, but the T-1 card wouldn't come up in the old switch, so we made the decision to install the NEW switch. We set out all the sets, swung the customers over to the new cables and patched them over, and created the database and installed the new switch - in one night.
In order to get out of there early (2:00 am) we just installed the old voicemail on the new switch. Thursday morning we found a little problem with that solution. You couldn't leave any new voicemails. So the new voicemail was installed and the contents loaded over - presto, no missed messages. It sounds exactly like it did before. So that was accomplished Thursday morning at 8:30 am. Then Thursday evening we went back and finished the programming, brought up the last 20 phones, hung the backboard and mounted the paging equipment, cleaned up the old cabling and replaced the ceiling tile, then cleared out the room and swept up the mess. We were out of there at 7:30 pm on Thursday night.

Cutover wasn't actually scheduled until Friday night and Saturday.
So... what shall I do with myself today?

It's been freaking COLD here. Tuesday night the wind blew constantly at 40 mph, I thought the RV was going to blow away. My water froze up solid. Wednesday, I did what I could with my hair and went in for a 14 hour day at work. Then had to try to thaw some water out to clean myself up on Thursday to go back in to work in the morning, then I got to come home for a while and take a nap, then back to work that evening at 5 - but we got finished up at 7:30 last night.
Today I shall work on getting some water thawed out, take a shower, then hitch up, drain my tanks (if they're thawed), and drive to Norman. I may see about dropping by my ex's house to do some laundry.

Sunday morning at 8 I am going to the shop to load equipment then I'm heading SOUTH!
Biloxi Mississippi, to be exact. Near the beach in the dead of Winter! Woo Hoo!
I hope that job lasts a few weeks... I'm petrified that I'm going to wind up working in Erie Pennsylvania in January.

You have a great day.
MsAmber

No comments: