Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Yesterday - Monday

Yesterday I fixed myself up and went down to Universal Communications. I got there early and waited for the owner to show up. He said he just wanted to know what kind of talent was in the area, he didn't have any work for me yet, but he would call if he got any big jobs.
Then I called Jay (carpentry), and inquired about his laborer opening. He said to give him a couple of days to think about it.
So I drove over to Paul's. He said he had a couple of days' worth of work for me. I went with him and pulled nails and tacks out of old cypress. What he thought would take me a couple of days I finished in 6 hours.
I came home and Mike Samples called. He wanted me to consider something. He asked if I would be interested in doing the Billings Montana job, then staying up there to support the system for a one-year contract after cutover. I'm really thinking on it, but my camper trailer would be of no use in Montana, so I would have to get an apartment and still pay for my trailer down here. I also told him that Mark Sorrells is putting me off and that I need work, so he said he would call around. He thinks he may need me to go to Houston and run a DC circuit off a power bay to a Siemens 400. I'll take all the work I can get right now.

I should probably be using this time to get my camper squared away, do the laundry, clean everything up and organize myself for travel. Bolt down a toolbox in the back of the pickup truck, vacuum it out and wash the windows. I should be prepared in the event that something comes through and my participation will be required immediately. That's the way things work in this business. When they need you: they need you NOW. (As opposed to when you need THEM: you can wait a few weeks.)

I also expect to be called for my physical any day this week. As soon as they requisition my medical records from Oklahoma, it will be scheduled.

I haven't made my trailer payment for July, I am $105.00 short of the payment amount and I don't want to give up the last of my money right now because I may need to float my own travel expenses until I get reimbursed. So I expect that the collections' division will start calling any minute now. But the electricity, rent, insurance, and phone bills are paid.

Larry (the landlady's son) has been creeping around lately. He asked me for a cigarette. I said no. He asked me for gasoline for the lawnmower, I gave him what was left in my gas can. He asked me for $1.60, I said no. He got mad. I told him that he has no right to bum off me, especially since I'm struggling to make ends meet and I'm working odd-jobs. He said at least I get paid for my work, (Well, duh!) and he's been mowing MY lawn for free. I said that I've mowed it all 5 times for free myself, and I'm not paying him to mow the lawn, besides, he always uses MY gasoline, AND he still owes me $10 bucks! I noticed that Ms. Doris is back from her daughter's house. She must have gotten her Social Security check. I expect that Larry will hang around until that's spent then he will leave again. Isn't there something wrong with a man who thinks it's alright to suck money from struggling women? He tries intimidation and bullying, and spouting violent nonsense, it ain't working with me. No mo'. No mo'. Mr. Wilton said Larry was over at his house trying to bum money and was all in his face and bumping chests. Mr. Wilton is 76 years old. Larry really needs to be knocked down a peg or two - imagine bullying women and old men! When Larry doesn't get what he wants he has a temper tantrum. Sometimes I worry about repercussions. I worry that he might snap and burn my house down or stab my tires or poison my dog. I think he knows it, too. Every time I look outside I see him creeping around somewhere. He stays within view of at least one of my windows. I don't feel comfortable hanging around outside in my lawnchair in the evening anymore. I can do it in the morning because Larry doesn't get up until about 9:30 or so, but during the day I shut and lock the door. That boy is mental.

Well, I'm going to run through the shower and start cleaning up. I don't have any paid work to do today.
You have a great day.
MsAmber

No comments: