Wednesday, August 19, 2009

In Memphis...

Okay, so I understand you may be a bit confused.
Things have been moving rather quickly so try to keep up.

I worked construction last week and got paid on Friday. On Saturday I went to the thrift store and bought $45 worth of new clothes. I gave the landlady another $100 for her prescriptions (just a donation to the cause because she's in pretty bad shape)I worked Monday, then I rented my girlfriend's car to drive to Memphis.

It's a little Mitsubishi Gallant. She's getting behind on her payments so this benefits both of us. TT fronted me the mileage reimbursement, so I offered her $100 per day for three days. That left me enough to pay for gas, and she spent a few dollars to fix the tire and replace the headlight bulbs, and cleaned it up for me.

I left Lafayette at 10 a.m. on Tuesday, drove to Memphis and got a hotel room about a block away from the VA hospital. I'm here to do a VA walkthrough and RFP meeting with all the "Suits". My mission is to gather all the pertinent information and see what it would take to install a new DC power plant, phone switch, and 3000 phones in this VA hospital. I was at the meeting this morning in my nice pink button-up blouse, dark jeans and cowboy boots. Most everyone was in dress slacks - you know - salesman clothes. That's why I call them the "suits". There was actually only a couple of technicians - me, and a Blackbox technician who was representing my company also. I think I left a good impression. I never really can tell - so riddled with insecurities sometimes - especially when I'm surrounded by "suits". I think I prefer being a tech to anything.
I was talking to my girlfriend Nicole afterwards and she said that I shouldn't feel that way, those guys were probably just saying "uh-huh" to everything so they don't look stupid and I was actually visualizing what has to be done, so my site survey is a lot more practical. I know I'm the only one who brought a measuring tape. I guess they will be leaving all the details to their technicians to figure out how to make it work. Unless they are all just SOOO professional that they can see a solution without any research... ya think?

I see challenges here. The switchroom is too small to accommodate two sets of everything. The customer doesn't want the new phones working in tandem with the old phones, he wants them replaced during the weekend of cutover (that would take a lot of manpower). There is no room to stage the equipment, so a storage trailer would have to be rented, and possibly an office trailer. A lot of small obstacles. I can think of workarounds to some of the issues, but that would require some after-hours work and some delicate-finesse work. In a way: I would like the opportunity to tackle these issues, in another: I hope we don't win this bid because these challenges make this installation VERY precarious. I see a high chance for mistakes in which I wouldn't want to be the girl standing there wearing tools and a nametag when the magic smoke is released.

Ah, good times.

Anyway, Sergeant St.Ann called me and all my medical records are in. I told him I won't be back in time to take my physical this Friday, so schedule me for Friday the 28th.
I've decided that since I'm getting paid to be here for two days that I'm going to join the bid meeting again tomorrow and get more measurements. I've compiled all my notes and my drawings, just need some more measurements of the switchroom. Then I'm going to drive back to Lafayette.

Chad and I have a Bingo date on Friday night and we're taking the kids.

After my physical on the 28th, I'm heading to Billings Montana for an install. It should last through October 24th. Mike is requesting a company vehicle for me, but if he can't get me one, then I'm going to have to buy something rather quickly. I wish they would let me know soon, because I may have to use my mileage reimbursement for a down-payment. I would hate to obligate myself to a stupid car payment only to have them insist that I take a company truck to haul equipment, and on the flipside, I'd hate to expect a company vehicle and find out at the last minute that I need my own car. Mark Sorrells is a pain. He refuses to communicate even rudimentary stuff to me. No consideration at all. Leaves me hanging every time...
Oh well. C'est la vie.

Mike tells me that coming up are: Asheville, NC; Clarksburg, WV; and somewhere, PA. I'm a little excited about Clarksburg, WV. That's 40 miles from my old home. Wouldn't that be interesting? Last time I was home was in March 2003 when I buried my mother. I told everyone that would be the last time they ever saw me, I ain't coming home no more. But lately I've been talking about my mountains, and thinking about my mountains, wanting to smell wood-smoke again and sit in a maple syrup shed. Louisiana has it's charms, but it's not Appalachia. Like I've always said: I don't care for the people, but I love my mountains.

I suppose this means that I may be getting back on the road with Trans-Tel. Well, depending on what happens with my Army physical. One project at a time. Let me get Billings Montana done and we'll see what comes up next. At least Mike is happy to have me back. He has always been encouraging and helpful. It really is nice to feel appreciated.

Anyway, I just have one more day of work here then I'm headed home to Lafayette. I may get to work on Friday, then four days next week before my physical. Gosh I really need the money, I'm so broke I can hardly pay attention! Wouldn't it be nice to win the lottery right about now?

This entry has taken 'way too long. I've always used an external keyboard and I find that some of my keys on the laptop are gummed up badly. Especially the F and C. I have to backspace out my sentence and re-add the F's. Too unny.

And my thumb keeps hitting the touchpad, so I'll just be typing along and find that my cursor has jumped somewhere else.

I'm going to hop on Craigslist now and see what the price for short-term rentals are in Billings.
You have a great evening.

Ciao
MsAmber

No comments: