Sunday, July 12, 2009

I found a little work...




The neighboring storage place asked me to clean out a climate-controlled warehouse. I spent most of the day on it yesterday and I need to finish today. It's a big dusty mess, but at least it's some work, and it pays cash.

I mowed the property on Friday, and I had to stop in one place because I found what I thought was a huge beehive. I called a guy named Rob, he's a beekeeper in the area to come get it. He showed up that evening and walked straight up to it. Put his nose within inches of it and took his sunglasses off, he stuck the arm of his sunglasses through it and said it's a swarm, no hive at all. It was about three feet long by about a foot-and-a-half in diameter. Thousands of honeybees. He went home and got a bee box and his equipment; a smudge pot, bee screen helmet, gloves, etc. He came back and cut the branch and dropped all the bees into his bee box and left it overnight. He returned Saturday evening and took them all away. It was really cool to watch him work. I learned a lot. He said that when a hive gets too populated, they will hatch another queen. She takes off and half the swarm accompanies her. Wherever she lands, the swarm covers her. That branch was just the temporary resting place. He thanked me for calling him, that was exactly what he was looking for. I was just glad I could save their lives, I just knew that somebody would get alarmed and spray them with insecticide, so I guarded the swarm until I could get somebody out to get them. It was really cool.

Well, I've got to go finish the warehouse this morning. You have a great day.
MsAmber

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is awesome. . . Good Job!

Hyper