Monday, March 16, 2009

Still raining.

Can you believe it's still raining?
It rained Saturday, Sunday, and it's raining right now. A full downpour.
Gosh I'm gonna get wet today!

I have a raincoat - somewhere. I need to find it. I thought it was behind the seat in my truck, but it's not. I'm seriously gonna need that bugger today.

I didn't want to watch anything on television last night, so I got out my Foxfire book and read about animal care and hide tanning. I find it interesting how the old people used to turn their hogs out to run wild in the woods. I also read some old hunting stories and stories about hunting dogs. I got a kick out of one:

"...And Oscar said he had a dog one time that you could just blow your horn and he'd come up. He'd know you was going a'huntin' when he heard the horn blow. Said he'd come up, and you could take your board (to stretch the hide on) and just hold it out there and let him look at it, and said he'd go off into th'woods and he'd catch you a possum that'ud just fit that board.
"But said he lost th'dog one day, and he didn't know what in the world come of his dog. He never had done that before, and he always come back home; but he said this time he hadn't come back and he didn't quite understand.
"And he heard his wife a'talkin' in there tellin' about so'n'so that had come over t'their house t'borry an ironin' board. And said she went and got th'ironin' board and brought it out there, and they'uz standin' at th'door talkin' - she had th'ironin' board up on her hip just standin' there talkin' t'th'lady - and said she looked out in th' yard there and that dog'uz actin' kinda funny. Said he'd look around, and look around. then finally after awhile she said he just went off up thataway. Said she didn't think anything about it. But he never did come back.
"And Oscar said, 'you know, only way I ever figgered out - that dog never could find a possum'uz big enough t'fit that ironin' board and he's still a'huntin'."


This story just tickled me. I stopped reading and had a good laugh. My next chapter is on Summer and Fall wild plant foods. Canning and preserving.
I do love my Foxfire books.

It was nice to sit and read while listening to a rainstorm last night. I really enjoyed it.

You have a great day. I gotta get ready for work.
MsAmber

No comments: