Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Putting in some long days.

This company is confusing.
It's not a 7:30 to 5:30 job. It's 7:30 till whenever you get finished.
I went with Jake yesterday and we did 6 jobs and got finished at 7:15 pm.
The work is not all that cerebral, but it is physical. I desperately need a GPS if I'm going to find my way around this new town. I'm still worried about my capability of handling that big extension ladder. I need to lift weights or something. I just don't have the leverage to pull it back when it's fully extended, especially in the wind.
I found out that we generally work Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and have Wednesdays and Sundays off. Until this week: now we are working Wednesdays and only have Sundays off. A six day work-week. Dammit. Did I mention that I'm not a 19 year old boy any more?
The one thing I'm going to have to get used to is not letting the customer talk me out of any work that is not billable. This work is also not for perfectionists like me. I need to have a dialog about that with the boss. It's ok to have the cables laying on the ground under houses, instead of securing them up like we always had to do in telephone work. I'm told that my work is supposed to be quick and dirty because I get paid by the job and I need to be fast.
That was one of the things I hated at my last job. I was forced to lower my standard of work at a couple of places and it irked me something fierce.

I called Tayla and made sure she was ok. I saw on the news that a tornado tore through Lone Grove and killed 14 people. So I called her at 6:45 this morning to make sure she got out ok. She went to her Mom's, so she's alright.

I gotta go to work now.
Have a great day.
MsAmber

No comments: