Saturday, February 07, 2009

I found a J-O-B.

Yesterday Atlantic Cable called and scheduled an interview for 1:00.
Then JB (the electrician) called me and said he has a cabling job for me on a weekend.

So, it looks like I've found an "in". I'm staying in this area after all.

I start my new job Monday morning at 7:30. I have to be in "training" for a couple of weeks at minimum wage, to learn how they do things and paperwork, but it's going to be fun. I'm going to be doing residential work again. I'm a little worried because of the energy level I will have to expend. This is the kind of work that I used to say: "I work like a 19 year old boy". Then a few years later I'd say: "I'm not a 19 year old boy anymore". Now I have to say: "I'm worth 2 19 year old boys". Yep, time to quit smoking if I'm going to keep up. It's all good. I'm in pretty good shape now, but I'll be in great shape by the end of the summer for sure!

My truck insurance has gone up $48.00 per 6 months. I called them and fussed about it, since I've never had an accident or made a claim and my truck is old, I don't deserve the rate increase. According to them: insurance rates in Louisiana are some of the highest since they've had so many claims to pay out. Well, what kind of sense does that make to have the highest rates in the poorest state? That means that people are going to start running without insurance because they can't afford it. I really wish the insurance companies would take a long walk off a short pier. At the very least, since insurance is mandatory, you should be able to write off your premiums on your taxes. I pay $908/yr on the trailer and $780/yr on the truck (minimum coverage). That's highway robbery!

It's that magical time of the morning when the sun comes up and the birds are singing. This morning there is no mist and I see a few clouds up above, but it's starting to get daylight. This is what time I must leave for work starting Monday. I'm going to miss sitting here watching the sunrise.

I will start looking for a place to park this rig in Lafayette. There aren't many RV parks in Lafayette, and most of them are booked up through the 23rd because of Mardi Gras. I might just stay right here for another month. The problem is that I have a 50 mile round trip just to get to work and back daily. That's a lot of gas in my truck, actually it will be about 8 gallons a day. Yeah, really. Wish I could write THAT off on my taxes.

I just had a thought: an invention. For mail carriers and utility workers and others who are at risk for dog bites. A protective sheath for the calves that send out an electric shock if a dog bites you. Like a neoprene sleeve that you pull on over your calves, under your pants. When it's punctured by a salivating dog, it will zap the shit right out of the dog.

Okay, it probably wouldn't work. But the idea of it just makes me laugh, imagine the surprise on the dog's face when it realizes it just bit into an electric eel.

You have a great day.
MsAmber

No comments: