Thursday, February 05, 2009

Could you hear my nickles screaming yesterday?

I ran out of propane and used up all my charcoal, so I counted out all my change. I had $16.95 (not including pennies). So I went to the propane place and the price for a 30# tank refill was $24. I asked the man there if we could just fill it halfway, because I have no heat and I can't even cook. Another customer who was in line asked the guy how much more I needed and he handed the man $10. I looked him straight in the eyes and said "Thank you, very much." Then I had enough change left over to buy a dozen eggs and a half-gallon of milk.

Gosh I hope my check comes in tomorrow. I'm doing alright. It wasn't the end of the world to run out of propane, but I'm very grateful to the stranger for helping me out.
That was really cool.

I emptied out and wiped down the cupboards yesterday. I made a couple of half-shelves and reorganized all the food. Then I sat down to check my email and a woodpecker flew in the door. I had to catch him before he hurt himself slamming into the windows and walls. It sure was a beautiful bird. I caught him up and let him out. He didn't sustain any injuries, thankfully.

It's so nice to be warm finally. It was 52 degrees in here this morning, so I got dressed in my longsleeve shirt, jeans, socks, and shoes. Then it dawned on me: Hey, I've got propane, turn on the heat. So I just did. It took all of 10 minutes to get it up to 65 degrees in here. Now maybe the electric heater can keep it that way. It dipped down to 30 last night, so I guess the electric heater did work it up about 20 degrees or so.

Spot still coughed most of the night. He's sleeping peacefully in here now. I wonder if it's the cold that sets off his coughing spells. It's settled down now that it's warm in here. Hmmmm. Interesting. Either that: or he's just coughed out for a while. Poor boy. He stuck to me like glue yesterday. Had to be touching me or watching me every moment. He didn't bark at passing vehicles either.

Well, I'm gonna get productive.
You have a great day,
MsAmber

No comments: