Friday, December 26, 2008

After Christmas

Yesterday Megabyte and I went hiking. I am directly across the street from a Missouri State Park, so we went there. I bundled up in my carharts with double socks and gloves, grabbed my walking staff, and we took off. We followed the road for a long ways until we came upon a trail head, it said: Buteo Trail. We went. Wow, what a trip. I saw a beautiful buck deer, lots of evidence of beavers chewing the trees, and a frozen lake. Megabyte started running and playing on the surface of the lake so I joined him. It was fun. He pranced and ran and slid all over the lake. He was full of energy like a puppy. I haven't seen him play like that in a long time. He was testing himself to see how fast he could run on the slippery ice. We hiked for better than three hours around that lake. When we returned to the trailer, I had to rinse Meg off under his belly and legs, he was caked in mud. It was a lovely Christmas Day.
I turned the heat off before we left. The outside temperature soared to 48 degrees yesterday. It stayed warm in the trailer. It's nearly 7:00 am now and I still haven't turned the heat back on. Either: I'm running a serious fever or it really is too warm in here. I have the door open this morning to cool it off. It's breezy outside and the sun hasn't come up yet, but it feels very good.
I took a package of Zatarain's black-eyed peas and rice (Hoppin' John)and put it in the roaster with some chicken thighs and three cups of water. I let that roast for over an hour at 350 and it turned out delicious. Megabyte and I ate it all. I'm going to have to remember that concoction and do it again sometime.
I can't believe it's Friday already. The good news is: I got paid, and just in time too. I was broke, broke, broke. I bought myself a dresser because I needed drawers to store clothes. I've been looking around and never found the right size to go under the window in the livingroom until last week. Wouldn't you know that I found the right size when I can least afford it? It's a nice dresser and it's all wood. No particle-board drawers or chintzy laminate surfaces. It has 6 drawers and it fits perfectly in the space I had it planned for. This is my last splurge. If I don't start saving up for the eventual new transmission or engine problem I'm going to put a serious hurt on myself. I know that major work on my truck will only happen when I'm not prepared, so I try to stay prepared and nothing will happen. See? It's like reverse psychology for Murphy's Law. The best way to beat it is to not show vulnerability. If I'm expecting the transmission to go out and I'm prepared to replace it, the derned thing will last forever. That's my plan!
Besides, my insurance will come due in February and I would rather pay it off in lump sum than make 4 monthly payments. Insurance sure is a pain.
Oh how I would love to get a small windfall sometime in my life. Just enough to pay off my creditors and get ahead on stuff like insurance and upgrade my computer...
Yeah, dream big.
You have a great day.
Thanks for listening.
MsAmber

No comments: