Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Another great day!

Good Morning!
Yesterday, I left out early and found a car wash. I got the truck cleaned up and went to the parts store for some power steering fluid and a window motor.
It took some time and a lot of figuring out, but I got it installed. Yay! Now I can roll my window down. I'm so happy about that. I was worried there for a while that I might not get it. It's rather complex and you have to do it by feel. You can't stick your head in and see what to do, you just have to feel around blindly. I'm so glad that's over, but now I know I could do it again if I had to.
Next, I need to address the wheel bearings on the trailer! Woo Hoo!
My aunt Susan came by to see me and we visited a while, it was great to see her again. I used to think the sun rose and set for my aunt Susan. She is so pretty, her smile just lights up the room. When she was 18 I was 8, she was frequently saddled with babysitting duty. I remember she drove a Subaru Brat, it was a little car with a little pickup truck bed in the back. We used to go take care of her horse, "Rose". She and I would secretly dip Copenhagen and spit and be the best buddies. I never had the attention of a popular, beautiful, and mysterious Teenager before, so I was totally smitten with her. I knew exactly who I wanted to be like when I grew up. Oh, she was so awesome.
Then later, my cousin Brooke came by to see me. She is 10 years younger than I. We had a great visit. I've always liked Brooke, she is Susan's daughter. Very accomplished and very self-aware. Also, beautiful like her mother. She and I looked over the wall of fame (Grandma's hallway of pictures), and Brooke started pointing out pictures and saying: "You look a lot like my Mom", or "I always thought you looked like Lindsay, she has your face-shape", and stuff like that. It made me feel good because all the Anderson girls are so pretty. I'm not a hideous witch or anything, but I always thought myself a bit too plain. It was cool to hear how my cousin perceived me.
This visit to my family is full of healing for me. I know that sounds stupid, but I've never felt this kind of love and acceptance from them before. It's as though they truly missed me, and everyone knows who I am, instead of the surprised look on their faces, I get happy smiles. Grandma told me that my pictures (on the bookshelf and on the refrigerator), weren't just put out because I was coming, they have been there all the time.
The visit with my little sister Brandy was the best one ever. I sat beside her at supper and we got to chat a little. I spent time with my nieces and nephew, the highest compliment I can say is "Those are some really cool kids". Not "They are really good kids", which they are. Or not "They are really sweet kids", which they are also. But they are really Cool kids. Such wonderful, big eyed, considerate, sincere, intelligent, funny, and happy kids. A pleasure to know. I just went camera crazy the whole time. I felt all the tension between Brandy and me just dissipate, almost palpably. We are, after all, almost strangers.
My Grandmother is a caregiver for her elderly neighbor (who is actually younger than she), and they had a little crisis yesterday. The DirecTV audio quit. I went over to have a look-see, and we reset the converter box, checked the settings on the TV, and several other little troubleshooting things and couldn't really decide what the problem was. I took over a component cable and hooked it up and disconnected the HDMI input, then changed the setting to use the component input, and voila': she had picture and sound. I told Grandma that she probably needed a new HDMI cable, that is the simplest solution, and she wouldn't have HD tv on the new component cable, but it would work just fine anyway. So I got to be the hero, even though I really did nothing. Grandma bragged about it several times, makes me feel good but kinda embarrassed.
Well, Grandma wants a recent picture of me, so I need to stop procrastinating and see about making my printer spit out a decent picture or two.
Thanks for listening.
MsAmber

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you are having a wonderful time, I am very happy for you. I am looking forward to getting a 4 day weekend. I will be following the Earnherdt's home so I can take the drag bike in to a Tulsa shop Friday for Dyno-tuning. So family, bikes, and a nice little road trip. Now that is my kind of Thanksgiving.

Take care MsAmber, Rob