Thursday, November 22, 2007

Shreveport Thanksgiving

So, here I sit in Shreveport for Thanksgiving.
I've always loved Louisiana. I have traveled all over the United States and have seen some beautiful places, but Louisiana has always stayed in the back of my mind as a place I want to live someday. I like the people, the food, the trees and the swamps. My daily commute to the city never has a traffic-backup. Everyone smiles and says "Good Morning". The poverty is fairly depressing to see, but the attitudes of the people are generally cheerful. There are birds and squirrels running around all the time. My apartment is on the second floor so the view from my bedroom is all trees. A big patch of trees. The wind started to blow and big black clouds were rolling in yesterday evening so I opened the windows and just watched. I felt electrified. It reminded me of when I used to watch the animals dance in the wind.
Have you ever seen wind-dancing?
Horses, goats, and sometimes dogs will start prancing and spinning and dancing around in the wind. I used to join them and start spinning and dancing in the wind with wild abandon. I'm sure anyone watching would have thought I fell off my rocker, but it's invigorating.
I used to explain to children that wind is important. It knocks the leaves off the trees before winter, it prunes the trees in the winter, it spreads seeds and pollen in the summer, and in the Springtime it opens up the 'veins' so the sap can rise in the trees. So when you view the wind from that perspective, you can really enjoy it.
The other day I pulled through a parking-lot that had some cottonwood trees shedding. It was awesome to see all the white fluff flying around. Wish I could have gotten out of the truck and just watched for a while. It was quite a sight.
I'll be in Shreveport for about 9 months. I am installing a new PBX in the VA Hospital. It seems like it's going to be a fairly easy install. I'm glad I get to see Autumn, Winter, Spring and Summer here. There are a lot of trees and you all know how much I love my trees! Mostly ancient Oaks, but some long-needle Pines and lace-leaf Elm scattered about. It's going to be a great time here.
I think I'll spend New Years' in New Orleans this year!

Ya'll have a great Thanksgiving.

MsAmber

No comments: