Thursday, April 13, 2006

Vacation Day #1

I started out with a truck full of branches and clippings. Over the top of the bed, held down with a strap. I cut down three trees last Sunday, and have been driving around for four days with them in the back of the truck. I called my Mother-in-law (heretofor referred to as Mom) at 9:30 this morning, and told her I would meet her at my neice's at 10:45. We met there at exactly 10:45 and Mom triggered the house alarm. The roof horn actually. I just stood in the doorway and giggled. She finally got it figured out, and the alarm company called, Mom had the secret password, so it was all ok. But it was funny. I took down the diningroom ceiling fan and replaced it with a flush mount light fixture. While I had the electricity off, I secured one of her wall outlets.
Then Mom and I went out to the farm and loaded a bunch of small peices of posts. There were perhaps 80 of them. I asked Mom where she wanted my trees dumped off. I had told her where there was a pile of tires, and there were two more by the pond so she wanted to see them. I drove her out to the ditch full of tires, there were 8 of them half buried in the red clay and leaves. So we pulled them up and threw them on top of my load of brush and post-pieces. The truck was really loaded up. Whew! She had me take her around to a section of a washout where she had been trying to fill it in, and we unloaded the whole truck. We couldn't just pull the stuff off the tailgate, no. We had to throw everything about 10 feet out. I felt like the discus throwing champion of the world. Those tires were full of mud, so they were pretty heavy and gross. I had mud splattered all over my face.
So we get that unloaded and we drive around to the pond and look at that, discuss getting a bulldozer out to dam it up over by the shallow end.
Then we drive up to the house. Dad wanted to treat us out to lunch, so I drove them in their car to Lexington for Mexican Food. Best place around. We asked if we could eat out on the patio, Mom and Dad really liked that. The weather today was a perfect 80 with a slight breeze. I did not stuff myself, I ate conservatively, so I wouldn't run out of steam. Then I drove them back to the farm (They don't get out much). I call Dad "Miss Daisy" as in "Driving Miss Daisy". Just my way of teasing him. When we got back to the house, I took down their old ceiling fan from the dining room and replaced it with the ceiling fan that I had just de-installed at my neice's house.
Then we loaded a glider chair and it's footstool into my truck, on top of the leaves and pine-needles. (It's ok, it'll blow out when I get to driving home.) Then I say my goodbyes, and drive back to Noble to my neice's house. I visit with her for a few minutes, she is ecstatic about the light fixture. We load up an exercise machine and two blue recliners into the back of the truck. She's getting ready to go to the movies with some friends. So I headed home.
Now, here I am. My cheeks are rosy red sunburnt. My pinched nerve in my back is bugging me. I just took an 800 mg Motrin. Trying to get the guts up to go unload the truck.
I probably shouldn't try and unload it myself, so as soon as my pinched nerve lets up, I'm going to call my neighbor-friend Tamara to come down and help.

This has been day one of my vacation.

MsAmber

2 comments:

Bob Hoeppner said...

Ok, I skipped over all the work stuff and enjoyed the paragraph on you having lunch with your parents. That was nice. My vaca starts in a few hours...

Anonymous said...

Yeah, this definitely doesn't sound like much of a vacation to me, MsAmber. I mean PINCHED NERVE??

Take it easy!