Monday, April 03, 2006

Nice Weekend

What a nice weekend it was. Saturday, I made a pot of black beans and sausage, and played around in the backyard all day. I moved my two foundering azalea bushes over to the shed, and moved some vines over to the trellis. Dug up a silver leafed maple that had started growing too close to the foundation, and moved it to the outside of the fence. I doctored the dogs. Brinka for earmites and Megabyte for his mouth ulcers. We played with Brinka for a long time with her favorite fetch-toy. I cut some coupons and Rob and I handled the grocery shopping.
Around 9:00 Saturday evening, a storm blew in. We opened all the windows and doors, and turned off everything electrical except the refrigerator, Rob and I sat on the couch at opposite ends with blankets on our feet, and talked till 'way after midnight watching the lightning and rain. It was very nice. I lit a couple of oil-lamps and we drank Iced tea and just talked. All the animals safe and quiet, laying in the floor beside us.
Sunday, we washed the van and the car, and drove out to our neice's house just in time to rescue her from a bad furniture-assembly debaucle, we brought sandwiches. Then we drove out to the farm and grabbed the 9mm and a big Vietnam-era rifle, and walked out to the woods. We made our way to the pond, where we saw that the snapping turtle population has gotten out of hand. We knocked off a few turtles, and walked some more to the back of the property. I picked up a few ticks - they love me. I took my boots off and walked barefoot all the way back. The red mud was so soft and cool. I like cold red mud squishing between my toes. Stopped by my sister-in-law's house as we were walking back. I hosed my feet down, but they're still stained red.
We hugged everyone goodbye and drove home, where we medicated and fed the critters, I cooked two game hens and a delicious London broil for lunches this week. We ate one of the hens for supper with carrot sticks dipped in Ranch, and fresh brussel-sprouts.
So, fat-and-sassy we head into another week of thankless labor. I didn't get any laundry washed, or the dogs bathed, or the carpets shampooed, but I had a great weekend.

MsAmber

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like the way weekends SHOULD be spent.

And I'm jealous. I wish I felt like washing my car. It's all I can do to find the patience to wait in line and GET it washed! ;)