Thursday, February 09, 2006

Things I Want To Unsee.

1. Goatse
2. Black Hawk Down
3. Decapitation video of Armstrong
4. My mother's naked post-autopsied body in the morgue
5. A dog dying of Parvo
6. Ethiopian starving children
7. Sally Struthers crying about Ethiopian starving children
8. A severely crippled child with bed sores
9. The eyes of the very first deer I killed
10. Motorcycle Face (which Crall so generously shared)
11. A rollover involving a trailer full of cows
12. All the "Faces of Death" videos
13. A real live hemorrhoid
14. "Monster" (the story of Aileen Wuornos)
15. Grandmother's cootchie
16. Friends in coffins
17. Friends going through chemo and radiation "therapy"
18. A baby goat dying in my lap
19. a man who blew his face off with a shotgun and lived
20. an infant crying with a baseball mitt-sized tongue sticking out
21. skinny cows at a farm - the farmer thought they could graze in the winter

I think that's about it.
They aren't in any particular order, and I don't think this list is comprehensive. There ARE some things I have been able to unsee, or block from my mind's eye.
Heaven forbid I should ever be hypnotised to remember...

MsAmber

5 comments:

Nicole said...

LOVE this post idea (wish I'd thought of it).

So you hated "Monster" huh? Everyone else seemed to think it was pretty great.

MsAmber said...

Oh yeah, the rape scene in "Monster" was just awful.
MsAmber

Anonymous said...

zardoz says:

dear ms AMBER

youre list is very full of things
that life makes very difficult to watch ,understand, and moreover sleep on .
And the strength needed to keep on
having a balance in your mind (or anybody's for that matter )
of hope , faith , and inner will to keep on going to see what the next day will bring, is tremendous.!

i've read some of your older articles about life as a small girl
and some personal health problems
and I have to admit that i've met a lot of people and traveled enough to
hear a lot of stories of woes in peoples lives.

BUT NO BUTS

YOUVE GOT MY BIGGEST VALENTINE
CARD THERE IS IN THE WORLD.

KEEP STRONG

=== ZARDOZ ===

Flubberwinkle said...

If only we could rewind our minds and memories, re-record and start anew. I'd like to think, or hope, that all the bad things we have experienced or have seen will -in the long run- help us to become better people. I know it sounds utopian but somehow we have to make sense of some the atrocities that befall us and others.
My most want to unsee memory is the newborn intensive care unit and the baby body bags.

Bob Hoeppner said...

Luckily, I have a memory like a sieve, and I can't think of anything that was so visually atrociuous I'd want to forget it. I've certainly been in some situations that I wish never happened, though.