Sunday, December 11, 2005

Two Techies in the Same House... Run For Your Lives!


Answer: Yes, you can. Just call Rob-N-MsAmber.

Ok. A little background is needed.

Any time I put two pieces of technology together in this house, it is fondly nicknamed: MsAmber's Frankenstein.

In 2001, I networked this entire house, bathrooms included, to a central closet which houses our cable modem, router, a 10/100 Mbps switch, and our patch panel. I put up a distribution block for telephone also.
Then, we decided we wanted a way to control all the speakers in the house. So I put speaker faceplates all over the house, running to the closet with a speaker switch, then a feed to the amp.
Then we decided we wanted a way to play the MP3s on the computer in the backroom through the amp, so I ran a special cable that converts from a soundcard to an RCA input into the amp.
Then we decided we wanted to use the old laptop (the monitor screen went kaput), as a component in our entertainment center. So we got a converter that allows the video out to go into the amp and thus to the TV. Now we can play MP3s on the laptop, blast it through all the speakers in the house, and watch the visualizations or screensaver on our TV. I can start a NetMeeting from here to control the laptop, start my songlist, set the visualization, go full screen, and it's good.
Now, we are getting a wireless keyboard to control the laptop, which will use the usb hub.
So the components are: Amp, DVR, DVD/VCR combo, laptop, video converter, usb hub, card reader, mini-disk player, TV and 6 speakers.
My current challenge is trying to get everything to utilize the S-video. We are buying a 52 inch DLP Television in the Spring, and I will have to reconfigure it all to take the composite video outputs then.
Will this ever end?

MsAmber

4 comments:

Aaron said...

That setup sounds really nifty and everything, but hey! Do you know anything about Linux? I'm trying to install ndiswrapper on Fedora Core 4 to get my wireless card working and I can't eveb install the stupid thing. sorry to bother you, but you're the only techie blogger I know of.

Drea said...

You got some smarts to be able to figure all that out.

We rented an old farm house back in NC for a few months. It was in the middle of nowhere. 90 years old... terrible insulation job on that place... full of spiders and bugs. I hated living there.

Any way it was the 1st place I'd ever lived that had a phone jack in the bathroom... right next to the toilet!
Was pretty funny.

Nicole said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Nicole said...

You lost me at "faceplate."

Love that cartoon, though. HAHA!