Tuesday, December 27, 2005


I hate being a blonde.

I burn easily. I always have a red sunburn stripe across my nose and cheeks, sometimes the top of my chin.

My hair is fine, so it gets oily easily. I just drive with the vent open in my car and my hair goes limp.

When I was pulling cable, I used to get in some pretty tight spaces,
sometimes my hair would get caught in stuff, I even had an adventure once where I was almost stuck with my hair under my knee.

Then, I bought a motorcycle. I got real good at throwing my hair up in a french braid. I didn't even look in the mirror. We would be leaving a bar and I would take about 15 seconds to pull up a french braid and I'm outta here.

One day, I got the idea to CUT it into a shag. Thinking: It won't tangle if it's a good shag, and it will give it more body. BIG mistake

Motorcycle riding was the worst. It would tangle sooo badly on the top,
I cried to brush it. What an awful experience.

Right at this time: the end of the shag phase, I was about to meet my future husband. He had seen a picture of me with the long blonde hair.

In preparation for our "Date", I went to the beauty parlor and asked them to cut my hair and feather it.
Rob was a little upset when we met. Especially when I told him that I had just cut it.

Well, he married me anyway, with one condition: that I let my hair grow long.

It's long again. It gets stuck in the drain if I try to wash it in a sink. It is hard to brush, I can't comb it when it's wet. It's shiny, but not very "healthy" (If there truly is such a thing.)

I must admit, I have either no imagination or too much imagination. I can't settle on a good unobtrusive modern hairstyle. Sometimes I may do the twist and clip in the back, but it's too long for that now. It doesn't look good unless I curl the ends of my hair.
Hairspray is out. I hate the stuff, it's poison, and I refuse to depend on it. It doesn't wash out of my hair, and it makes it tangle too badly. I only use hairspray on special occasions.

If anybody has any ideas, I would be happy to consider them. What can you do with long hair?

MsAmber

7 comments:

Travis or P.T. said...

Hi MsAmber, I like your hair both short and long. Either way looks good. I just got mine point cutted. I get real choppy layers put into it. The shortest layer in my hair is 7 inches long. It gives my hair a lot of extra body. I have thick hair... but because it was getting so long.. it was real heavy and flat when I wore it straight...
So.... the layers helped me.
I try to flee from the "Friends" Rachael layered hair cut. Point cutting gives the hair a lot more texture.

My hair is also permed... so I can wear it curly when I'm real lazy. Just wash it and boom its done.

I hate hair spray as well. awful stuff :-)
Only product I use in my hair is the Matrix Bioladge leave in conditioner. It works great for me.

Although since your hairs thin and oily.. you probably dont need conditioner... it helps detangle though.

Ack gtg Calebs banging on the wall in his room.

Sorry if I wasnt any help.

Drea said...

MsAmber, that was me posting above :-) HAHA. I accidently was logged on with Travis' name. He doesnt have permed hair ;-)

Flubberwinkle said...

I hear ya girlfriend!
I like ultra short hair. The best (hair) time of my life was when I had a haircut that looked something between a nice clean cut boy's hair and Diana's (Princess of Wales, rip). Just washed the darn thing, combed it back and life was good.

However, my family insists that I look better with long hair, so I'm aiming to please, 'cause after all they look at me most of the time. I just see myself in the morning and night when I brush my teeth.
I have permed my hair, it's still a toxic, but I cannot braid, brush or straighten if my life dependedn on it. I, too, hate mousses, hair-sprays and gels. I need something hassle-less and easy. Ta-da! Perm is my solution.

Btw, although I'm a brunette, I too burn easily and have red marks on my cheeks and nose.
Since you can French braid, I'd say keep the long hair (to please hubbie) and get creative with various french braid dos.
:-)

Me Crabby said...

I like your hair.

Fightin' Mad Mary said...

I must have gotten it from you - I'm really sick with the flu or something...but please wait. I will have ideas for you soon!

Fightin' Mad Mary said...

I was watching CNN's Open House and thought - that hair would look great on msAmber. Do a google image search on Gerri Willis - she is the host of the show and she has great hair. The short style on you looks the most professional, so this is a different take on the same kind of cut. I think it would be easy for you to style to. It is a much more polished look that I think will really accent your eyes!

Nicole said...

I'm in the same boat.

I've got hair halfway down my back and not enough imagination to do something really creative with it. I'll put it up in a ponytail or french bun but that's the extent of my cosmetology expertise. Good luck in your style-finding quest... :)