Friday, December 23, 2005

Honey, We Have To Talk.


Ok, I've been fighting a little cold, but still working. I have a sore throat and I talk like I've been eating chalk. Usually, I stay awake until my husband gets home after 10:00. But not last night. I went to bed about 9:15. Rob came in and shook me gently and said "Honey, We Have To Talk".

Oh no! I'm thinking, "What did I do? Is the car wrecked? Did somebody die?"

He said, "Remember when we said there would be no more dogs?"
(Huh?)
"Yeah, well, we have an opportunity to get a really great German Shepherd pup."
(How old is it?)
"Under a year-old."
(Why? Who's getting rid of it?)
"Nephew J. Remember? It's the dog he's been talking about."
(Where is the dog? In Florida?)
"No, it's out at the farm. They brought her with them."
(She been fixed?)
"No."
(What about Megabyte. We can't get him fixed now, he's too old?)
"We'll get her fixed."
(Okay, whatever, cool. Goodnight.)

So, the exchange has happened, and we have a 9 month old female German Shepherd, with a pedigree and all the accompanying bloodlines, outrageous name, and stack of vet bills and pills. Apparently, pedigree dogs go to the vet quite often.

But She is beautiful. Very smart. Right now, VERY restless. She's pacing in and out. The temperature today is in the 60's so I have the house opened up with the backdoor open. She is a very messy drinker, also. We have two big watering dishes, one inside and one out. She paws at them. Not cool. And then drools a lot like a labrador.

And she's already had her first obedience semester. This one is going to take a lot of strong handling at first, She doesn't listen unless you "Bark" commands at her.
She understood me just fine when I yelled "Out! Out! Out!" and pointed to the door.

She'll be a great dog when we're done. Rob and I have some good techniques when it comes to training our animals.
If we can just keep Megabyte off of her till we can get it handled. Unless anyone wants a Blue Merle Australian Cattle Dog with German Shepherd mixed puppies. They would make some awesome offspring.

MsAmber

6 comments:

Jim Cooper said...

linked in from crallspace...

The dog is gorgeous!!!! I love shepards even though I have a bull terrirer boxer right now.

And I thought there wasn't another soul on the planet that had read Another Roadside Attraction!!

Drea said...

Hi MsAmber,
Im lounging around Travis' dads house while Caleb naps a bit. Been playing checkers the past hour w/ the kiddo's... Felt like taken a break so I thought I'd check your blog.

What a pretty dog! She is so cute.
I like Shepard dogs as well. My Aunt Jean had one.. died young. Like age 4... she had a stomach issue... was a real fast death... so sad. But the few years they had her she was awesome.

What are you going to name her?

Shes like a Christmas gift. You should call her something that means "Gift."
Heres a few girl names that mean gift (just a thought hehe)

1. Makana - Means Gift its from Hawaii
2. Shae - means Gift its english
3. Thea - Means Divine Gift - Its Greek
4. Xaria (sounds lke Zaria) means - Gift of Love :-)

Just ideas hehe.
Babynames.com << has lots of names and meaning its a pretty sweet site.

Travis Dad has two dogs. Barker (full blooded Boxer, hes huge!) and Chessie (part english bull dog part boxer). They are sweet dogs... but hyppperrr! Im allergic to dogs big time.
Ive been living off of Allergy meds all week... since we stay at his dads most of the time we are visiting here...

Barker licked me on the face (got a pic ill upload to my site later) and my face swelled where had had licked... it was really weird! Went away after a few minutes... but I am just guessing my allegries are just realy bad and his tongue caused a reaction on my skin. Weird huh?

If we ever have a dog it have to be outdoors...

Alright gtg! Have to head over to Grandmothers in a few.
Take care,
Andrea

Nabonidus said...

This is great! When I read the beginning of the post " honey, we have to talk" I thought "Oh crap." :(
Instead i'm tickled for you. She's beautiful. I've always liked the name Lucy, for some reason. She looks kinda
like a Lucy, to me.If she's been a boy I would have said "name her Bruce" lol. After Amber's love.Can't remember what Amber's daughter's name was.
Hmm...
In any case, Happy holidays, all that stuff.:)
xoxoLisa

MsAmber said...

Her name is Brinka.
Sounds 'tough'.
Brinka...
Her pedigree full name is:
Brinkx V Treue Freundschaft
her Dam was Charlies Stormy V Enckhausen and her sire was Yukon Vom Treue Freundschaft.

And Yes, I spelled it all correctly.
MsAmber

Flubberwinkle said...

Frauline Brinka is beautiful! (The name is so appropriate).
Happy Holidays!

Nicole said...

Awww, look at the puppy!!! Great holiday gift. :)

Here I was patting myself on the back for owning two cats and not having killed them yet. Only to realize that dogs are way more complicated to own than cats. I may or may not get a dog someday but I will ALWAYS be a cat lady. ;)