Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Moping from a bad day


Nobody likes my hat. I think it's cute. It's like a knitted straw hat. It's old-fashioned, but I can put all my hair up in it, without worrying about it falling back out.

And yes, I garden in a skirt. It's my way of being in touch with nature... I like stirring the dirt with my bare hands. No gloves for me. Oklahoma isn't exactly known for it's soil quality, so I have started a compost. I traded a pickup load of willow branches and grass clippings for a pickup load of well mixed and partially rotten compost.

I know I'm rambling, but I had such an awful day at work today, and I'm finding it hard to write anything upbeat. I cruised through my Picasa gallery and saw this picture. It called to me. Share me. Share me.

When this picture was taken, I was planting Sunflowers. I hosted the first annual sunflower contest. I planted over 150 sunflower seeds all around the inside of the 8' stockade fence. I dug each spot out and planted them in compost AND cow manure. Then all the neighborhood children and adult friends alike, made little wooden plaques with their flower's name. There was: Calliope, Beauty, Harjos, Kandelyn, Grace, MsAmber, NormanKnight, the Dorks, the Nerds, Danielle & Danny, Mustangs, and others which I cannot remember just now.

The sunflowers grew to enormous heights, some were over 10 feet tall. I had a bumper harvest of sunflower seeds. It was magnificent. I live on a corner lot, so I have a lot of fence facing the street. People would slow down and point as they drove by. When we harvested, I soaked and toasted about 20 heads, I gave about 20 more away, and I shucked and fed the rest to the birds. It was a very successful competition. I watered every day that I could, and I made everyone weed their own little plots.

I'm not kidding when I say that it was really something.
Maybe I'll dig those pictures up next and make another page for my site. The great sunflower contest.
Yeah, that's what I'll do. TTFN
MsAmber
www.wildernessgirl.com Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Romeo Whiskey said...

When you are sad,
I will dry your tears.
When you are scared,
I will comfort your fears.
When you are worried,
I will give you hope.
When you are confused,
I will help you cope.
And when you are lost,
And can't see the light.
I shall be your beacon
Shining ever so bright
This is my oath.
I pledge till the end.
Why you may ask?
Because your my wife and best friend.

Tom & Icy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Destiny said...

I have multiple straw hats! One day i will post a photo. Is Romeo a husband? What a wonderful couple you are, and many more years of love i wish for you both!