Wednesday, November 16, 2005

My Vintage Appliance(s)




This is my 1961 Frigidaire Flair Custom Imperial stove. My mother in law gave it to me when the burners and wiring started going bad. I brought it home and went through it with the schematics and fixed most everything. I still need the clock mechanism. But it's not an ordinary clock. No sir. It's got 4 connectors and it does a multitude of functions. The right oven has a plug-in meat thermometer. You can set the oven to shut off when the internal temperature of a roast (or whatever) reaches 180. You can tell the oven to turn itself on at 4:00 and cook for up to 4 hours.
The large, right front burner has a thermostat in it. For precise temperatures. Wanna make pancakes at 325, or hashed browns at 400?
The left front burner is a speed heat burner, for the tea kettle, the rear burners are normal. There is a fluorescent light over the stove area, and two bulbs in the ovens. The ovens, due to their stainless steel interiors, cook like convection ovens, they run a little hot.


When you are done cooking, you simply close the drawer and the burners go away. The stove sits on it's original pedestal. There is no rust, no funky smells. This stove is really my pride and joy. I like to put something in my aluminum pressure cooker and cook on the stove. It gives you a warm fuzzy.

Another little interesting note. 1961 Frigidaire was owned by General Motors.

This stove had a lot of features that were simply unheard of at the time. They marketed this to the new working woman as a time-saving device. Kinda like a personal chef/robot thing.






Well, I figure since I introduced you to my stove, you might want to meet my microwave too. This is a 15th century microwave, complete with a 'defrost' mode. No turntable, nope. Back in my day we had to turn the food ourselves. A simple burrito could be scalding hot and frozen at the SAME TIME. Yeah, truly.
This is a family heirloom, I will be leaving it to some lucky heir someday. With the matching dishwasher. It's from like 1492, and you still had to wash the dishes by hand first, BEFORE you put them in the dishwasher. But the timesaving part of it is that you don't have to hand-dry them anymore.

I'm SUCH an old-fashioned kinda gal.
(sigh)



2 comments:

Romeo Whiskey said...

You make a wonderful Vanna White my dear.

Nabonidus said...

Amber, that IS a nice stove!
Caught my eye right away.That thing was built to last.:)