Sunday, January 30, 2011

...On Being Sinister.

I googled the word: Colloquialism, and it took me to an old dictionary.
Having nothing better to do; and it being one of my hobbies, I read several pages of this dictionary.

Sinister means: Left; not on the right; unlucky; inauspicious.
Sinister-handed means: left handed; unlucky.

I had heard Mother tell me that she fought with my teachers in kindergarten to NOT discourage my left-handedness. I could use whichever hand I preferred. I'm predominantly left, but some things; like scissors, I use right-handed. I'm actually quite confused with left and right, sometimes I forget which one I use for certain things. I don't think it's true ambidextrous-ness, just a natural adaptation.

Grandmother told me she was blessed with right-handed children, but when they were young she discouraged left-handedness. If one of her babies tried to use their left hand she would simply hold it and encourage them to use the right one.

I don't think I really understand why. But I'm going to have so much fun with the word sinister from now on.

I'm SINISTER! Woo Hoo!

MsAmber

1 comment:

Lisbeth said...

Today for the first time in a long while I finally caught up with you again, and it's great to see you're doing well. I was at work the other day in a meeting with all the managers, and they wanted us to fill something out. As we looked around we realized that five of us sitting next to each other all were writing left-handed, and we got so excited we interrupted the meeting. It was like a whole unexpected lefthanded sisterhood. :)