Sunday, January 09, 2011

I'm in Alpena, Michigan

I found a cool little motel with beachfront access to lake Huron. It appears to be frozen over, but I haven't walked to it yet to check it out.

The trip was eventful. There were off-and-on snow storms. I drove 850 miles the first day, but I had to stop and get a hotel as soon as I got into Michigan. Visibility was awful and I was getting too tired to pay the proper attention. I ran over a plastic planter in front of a gas pump... that's how I knew I should stop.
When I drove near Chicago, (or was it Detroit?) I saw a beautiful oil refinery. I know, that's not normal, but it was beautiful. It looked like a miniature Tokyo with steam venting from each chimney. I guess the lighting was just perfect, or maybe the location was remote enough that it just glowed like a little standalone city. I regret that I didn't pull over and take a picture.

Yesterday morning I dragged myself out of bed and loaded up the truck and got ready for the last 350 miles of the trip. Everything was fine until I turned North on I-196. Then, it was hair-raising. It was 11:30 a.m. and there had been a snowstorm the night before - 16 inches or so. The snowplows apparently forgot about that stretch of the Interstate. I was crunching through the snow at 24 mph for 30 whole miles. I was a little worried that I would be in those conditions all day and the last 350 miles would take 10 hours. Fortunately, the snowplows had been working on the other areas and when the road cleared up, it was easy-cheesy the rest of the way.

It still took 8 hours to drive the last 350 miles and I got here at 7 p.m.
I got all moved into my motel room. Unpacked and set up the room. I brought my ironing board and now that serves as a makeshift desk.

I think I'll find a Wal-Mart to buy a 3-prong adapter (I brought a power strip but all the outlets in the room are two prong).

Well, I gotta take a shower and get moving.
You have a great day.
MsAmber

No comments: