Saturday, November 14, 2009

El Reno. . . Again?!?!

Still here.
The job isn't going blazingly fast. The crew is out of Tulsa, and they schedule themselves pretty short.
I'm kinda in a quandary: I have a reputation for not liking the quality of work by subcontractors, so my bosses roll their eyes at me when I give disparaging reports of others' work. Fact is: I could do the entire job myself, but that's not the reason I have critical eyes towards their work. But I know that if I complain about yet another subcontractor, that it won't change anything and I will simply be reinforcing my reputation as a malcontent.

I see things like: Not showing up on time. Not staying as long as they should. Terminating cat6 without using the retaining clips. Not using the box connectors on the Valcom speakers. Taking 8 hours to terminate 48 cables. Not doing exactly what they said during the conference call. Not adhering to the schedule that they announced during the conference call. Pulling some cables too short. Labeling cables without underlining the numbers (is it 99 or 66? 81 or 18? etc.) If I didn't nag so much about labeling the jacks, I think they would bypass that step also.
My new boss wanted me to watch how THEY do things so that I can duplicate their quality during the next install. What a joke! I feel like my talents are wasted sometimes. The subcontractor is really hating having a babysitter (me) and is doing their best to keep their work away from me - they gave me the task of dressing-in the closet on Wednesday. That kept me busy in the closet all day - it looks real good, by the way.
They are a small-town company. The son works for the dad. Remind you of someone? (Ardmore Tel-Comm, Jerry and Terry Bateman! I love those guys!) Stubborn as all hell - "This is the way I've always done it!" (It took me forever to re-train Terry Bateman from stripping cat5 all the way back. Ah the memories!)

"Yeah? Well that doesn't mean you've been doing it right. Where did you learn to terminate Cat6?" (This is what I wish I'd said.) He says the cat6 clips get in his way. I think he just doesn't know how to use them - I thought they were a pain-in-the-ass the first time I used them, but then I got used to them and I find that they work beautifully and save a little time in a high-density panel. Besides: nowadays the cable sticks out straight from the panel, not bent to the side. I hope his cables pass, but I kinda doubt they will with that sharp bend. We'll see. Today we test! Unfortunately he won't be there. He is going to a wedding today, so they are sending a substitute technician to finish the punching-down.

Well, I've ranted enough. You probably have no idea what I'm talking about anyway.
Just smile, Amber. This job will be done, and nobody will care about retaining clips and box connectors when it's through.

Have a great day.
MsAmber

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I totally understand what you are saying; your work is quality beyond reproach.

Rob