Thursday, January 01, 2009

Happy New Year!

2009!
What a lovely day. The sun is shining. It's still cold, but it looks nice through the window, at least.
I wish I could say that I'm making some big, earth-shattering resolutions this year, I fully intend to quit smoking sometime soon, and also I would like to drop 20 pounds or so, but as far as being psyched up to change RIGHT NOW, nope. Just not feeling it.
I have taken some hard psychological hits this past year. The realization that I'm destined to stay single wasn't made as a deliberation; it slowly dawned on me that I'm too stubborn, independent, stuck in my ways, uncompromising, and butt-ugly in the mornings. Ha haaa!
I went out to the Cadillac Ranch last night at 9:30 pm for some good old-fashioned people watching. I danced to the songs I knew, and had a good time altogether but I still felt like a visitor to some alien planet.
Have you seen modern dancing? What I witnessed was group dancing. It's kinda like line-dancing but it's faster and more energetic. Everyone on the dance floor seemed to know the moves and it was really fun to watch, but I'm sure I don't have that kind of speed in me. "To the left, left, left. To the right, right, right. Now stomp two times. Hop. Turn around. Do the cha cha now"... and that was the easiest dance, I almost participated in that one. Then it got more frenzied and the songs didn't call out the moves anymore but the dancers still knew what to do in sync. The Cadillac Ranch was a Country & Western bar, I think. They still played all sorts of music: first a country song, then a hip-hop song, then an oldie, then rockabilly.
The doorman thought he was being cute. Two young ladies entered before me, I held the door for them, in fact, and another gal about my age. The doorman was all hugsy flirty with the young ladies and took their money and never checked their ID, then he looked straight at me and the other lady and said: "Now you two! I need to see your ID's. Are you sure you're old enough to be in here?" Meanwhile, the cutesy little girl (named Amber, by the way) beamed at me over her shoulder like "Aww, isn't that sweet? He's making a fuss over the old broads to make them feel good." And THEN: another doorman walked up as we were wrapping up our transaction and checking our coats, pointed at us and said: "Did you card those two?" with a cheesy condescending wink.
Maybe I was supposed to bat my eyelashes and blush and say: "Aw, you sweet thing. I'm old enough to be your mother!" giggle giggle, then grab my big stuffed handbag and my tissue from my pocket, delicately swiping my nose and adjusting my bifocals before I waddle my ancient ass into the nightclub, followed by my cloud of dusty, heady perfume.
Okay, okay. I'm a little too visual and sarcastic this morning. I seem to have a very dry sense of humor today.
I need to go to the convenience store and pick up some milk. I have a can of hash that I've really wanted to cook with eggs and toast for breakfast. I haven't had corned beef hash in a long time and it sounds delicious to me right now, but I really want a big glass of cold frothy milk. Yummy.
I do wish someone would explain to me what "Corned Beef" is. Does it have anything to do with Corn? And if not, why would they call it that? Regular corned beef doesn't taste all that good, but in hash it's delicious with eggs and buttered wheat toast.
OK. Gotta go now and buy some milk, I just made myself ravenously hungry.
Thanks for listening.
MsAmber

No comments: