Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Wednesday already?

Good morning.
I had a lovely day yesterday. My new crew is great. First off, we unloaded the trailer to see what materials we have, then we reloaded the trailer. We did a walk through of the jobsite to see what needed to be done, then we started pulling the 300 pair. When people walked by, they would always ask "What is that?", so I answered it was a 300 pair cable. Pulling it is like wrestling an elephant. "I got it by the tail guys, now ya'll can take 'er down!" (my little joke... very little...there it goes, poof.)
We got it pulled from the end of one hallway to the end of another hallway, and fed into the idf and switchroom, through 5 firewalls. Now that was fun! We joked and laughed and worked very hard until 6:00 pm. It makes the day go faster when you really have some good work to do. I'm glad this crew is relaxed enough around me to joke and let me work with them. I was brought in as a supervisor and I had never met these guys before, sometimes that works out, other times they have had a bad experience with other supervisors and start out with a chip on their shoulders. These guys are ok.
My propane tank is empty this morning, so it's a little cool in here. I need to switch over to the other tank. That would require me to bundle up and go outside and fumble around in the windy dark to get the cover off the tanks and manually switch it over. Nope. I'll just sit here drinking my coffee and shiver, thanks. The funny part of this equation is that the tanks have an automatic switch over, but I won't use it. I keep one valve closed because I want to know when a tank is empty. I'm afraid to run out both tanks. I can be so silly sometimes. Since it's been cold, I am averaging 8 days on a tank. There really needs to be some method of checking propane levels that doesn't require me to pour a glass of warm water over the side of the tank to watch the gauge change colors. How about a re-settable flow meter on the inside? I know they hold over 7 gallons each, so if I reset it each time I fill the tank, then when it hits 7 gallons I'll know one of my tanks is empty. Gosh. Amber for President!
Actually, there is one modification I would like to make to this trailer. A battery powered red strobe light on the front. I would connect it to a temperature sensor. If it gets over 95 degrees in here, I want the light to flash and a sticker that requests the casual observer to call me. I worry about my dog during the day. I had an incident last summer where the outside breaker popped and the air-conditioner shut off. My dog was in here and the temperature soared to at least 105. Fortunately for me I took off early from work that day and went home. If I had stayed at work, my dog might have been hurt. I marched my butt up to the campground manager and chewed them out (actually, I had a hysterical meltdown). If it were my trailer's AC that caused the breaker to flip, it would have flipped inside the trailer first. When too many trailers in the park have their air conditioners on, the outside breakers usually flip. So I'm going to make sure that never happens again. I feel very fortunate that I felt compelled to go home early that day. But now I know what I need to do and I will get it done before any hot weather.
Well, I gotta run through the shower before heading to work.
Thanks for listening.
MsAmber

No comments: