Friday, November 14, 2008

November 14, 2008



My ex-husband emailed me this morning. Said he finished a webpage and hoped I didn't mind, and he sent me the link. http://www.normanknight.com/friends/TheEnd/amber.html

I read the page, it's very nice. I really like the last song: Learn To Be Still.

I was feeling a little blue yesterday. I think I'm reverting back to my old hermit habits. I was thinking about work, and people that I know, and feelings that I want to crawl into a cave and hide for a while. I realize that the depressing nature of November in a desolate place like Ponca City may have something to do with my moods.

The turn-signal-windshield-wiper-bright-dim-cruise-control lever on my truck has broken. The windshield wipers were stuck on, so I pulled the fuse and wired in a toggle switch which I wire-tied to my steering column so that I can turn on and off the wipers. I checked at the dealership and they want $208.00 for it. I can't afford that right now, so the toggle switch will have to do for now. Then, the drivers' side window motor went out. Oh joy. I pulled the door panel and I don't see any good way to get to it. It looks like I'm gonna have to find a junkyard to get those parts.
Maybe I could just get a whole new door, this time with manual window crank. I hate electric windows. I won't do that of course, unless it has the exact same paint scheme and is in perfect condition. I certainly don't want a blue door on a brown truck.
I made an appointment to get my swing bearing replaced this morning. Maybe I'll talk with the mechanic about that stupid window motor and see what he suggests... I guess that's the joy of owning an older truck. I am determined to keep it in perfect condition, but the truck isn't being all that cooperative. I also have a power steering leak, I'm topping it off with stop-leak every other day, maybe I'll eventually get it to stop leaking until such time as I can afford it replaced also. I cleaned everything under the hood last week so that I can see where my leaks and problems are.
It really is a nice truck, and very pretty. I'm completely upside down on it now: I have 'way more into it than I could ever sell it for. My first ex-husband would never have let me do that. He was very "practical" about vehicles. I am determined to have a really nice truck, but I have to do it one paycheck at a time.
So far the tally is this:
Original purchase price: $2,750.
Brakes, drums, cylinders, brake lines, rotors turned, trailer brake module: $908.00
Weight distribution hitch: $600.00
Tires: $630.00
Bed liner, window vent covers, tailgate cap, hub centers, bug shield: $698.50
TWO (yes I said two) fuel pumps: $60.00
(The first replacement fuel pump went out after 50 miles)
Windshield: $200.00
Stereo: $325.00
Trailer light wiring harness: $18.00
Interior dress up stuff (seat cover, wheel cover, seatbelt pad, floor mats): $35.00

So, I'm up to $6,224.50 total on an '84 Chevy Silverado C20.
And that doesn't count insurance, inspection, registration, washing, waxing, oil changes, air filter, fuel filter, or the many hours of labor that I have spent on this thing.
I also outfitted it with a 2-ton floor jack, 18' jumper cables, 20' tow rope, 2 pop-up reflective cones, a nice 4-way tire tool, a road atlas, and a first-aid kit. That's usually what I do with all my vehicles, I make sure I'm prepared for emergencies and I absolutely hate bottle jacks and bumper jacks. I gotta have a floor jack.
Anyway, here's a picture of my money pit.

Thanks for listening,
MsAmber

No comments: