Wednesday, November 28, 2007

November 28, 2007



Rob and I have decided to divorce. It was a mutual decision and there are no arguments or animosity. We are trying to remain friends, but it's hard to see each other right now. Much less talk about anything.

It's been a wonderful 6 years. Wouldn't trade them for anything. But now it's over and I'm getting my spark back.

Have you ever noticed that when you are in a relationship you begin to get squeezed into someone else's mold of what you should be? It starts small enough: little things like shaving your legs or making sure you clean the hair out of your hairbrush because he can't stand it. Then, before you know it, you have to say "I love you" on queue. He says "I love you", then YOU have to say it back (even though at that moment you are actually wondering how he would look as a corpse).

I am an individual. Why do people think that two people getting together become one person? Can't they be two people, together?

I don't want to be "changed" by someone. I don't need to be fixed, I'm not broken. I like who I am. I am honest, hard working, funny, smart, and I have long hair that gets stuck in the hairbrush. I also have stubby pinky-toes, I have a tendency to be chubby, I get scratched up and bruised at work, I wear my toolbelt with pride, I hate shaving my legs, I'm a caffeine addict, I smoke too much, I don't brush my hair enough, I repeat myself, I make good money, I snore, I grind my teeth, I leave dishes in the sink, and I cuss sometimes.

Oh...freakin'...well!

MsAmber

1 comment:

Flubberwinkle said...

You're right, a couple shouldn't morph into one person. I think that one of the key ingredients in a relationship is respect for each other's individuality and giving each other enough room to breathe and express themselves.

Breaking up is hard, but sometimes staying together is even harder.

I'm glad you're "getting your spark back". It means you're doing OK.

Be well, do good.
:-)