Thursday, February 23, 2006

Hey, the company finally hired somebody new! Woo hoo!
Now I've been moved to a later shift. 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.
For the past 5 years, hubby has worked evenings and I work mornings. Our schedules are so obtuse that we only see each other for about an hour each night before I go to bed. It has kept the harmony between us, couples can't fuss if they never have anything to fuss about. This schedule change won't increase the amount of time we have together, but it will enable me to get more sleep of a night. I think the boss' motive is to make it so I will comb my hair and put on a little makeup before I come to work.
I hate combing my hair when it's wet. So every day I arrive at work with long, wet, uncombed hair. Around 9:30 or 10:00 I go brush it. I know, most of you wouldn't dream of leaving your house without your hair "just so", personally, I would love to have dreadlocks... No, not dirty hair, just organized tangles. I have actually very pretty hair, by the color and the length. You know how some dogs have two different textures of hair? Well so do I. The hair underneath the back has a different texture, and it has a slight curl, so it just loves to tangle up. I have tried different products at different times, sometimes I can control how badly it tangles, but when it gets this long, I just dread brushing my hair wet. I think it's time to start wearing double braids, and get some light bangs cut.

Ok. Two problems solved in one day!

I get to work a later shift, and I finally figured out what to do with my hair. Cool. Good Summer hair-do.

Thanks.

MsAmber

7 comments:

Nicole said...

Yeah, braids are definitely carefree (for the most part).

Woo hoo, I've got dreadlocks! Not that you asked; just thought I'd throw that in. I grew them when I finally decided to work WITH my hair rather than against it -- like your two braid approach. It makes life SO much simpler, doesn't it?? :)

Fightin' Mad Mary said...

Are you trying to give me a heart attack? Braids? Really?
You are so pretty, but this is not your most flattering look.

about the tangles - first try brushing your hair before you wash it - that should help (I have a similar problem)
Also, what are you combing it with? An actual comb? NEVER! You should be using a big wide paddle brush.
Maybe try washing your hair at night, putting in the braids for sleeping and then combing it out in the morning?

MSAmber I'm ready to come in for an intervention any time!

BTW- your boss may be on to something about the hair and makeup thing too - read "Secrets of Six-figure Women" by Barbara Stanny Statistically, women who put effort into their appearance make more money!

MsAmber said...

Mary,
I think the part of my upbringing that is preventing me from spending a lot of time on my daily appearance is that I was told that vanity is a sin. That's been hammered in my head since I was born. It makes me afraid to spend too much time in front of the mirror. It also makes me feel guilty for comparing myself to others. ie: I have nice teeth compared to so-and-so.
I go with the clean-body/clean-mind version of myself. I avoid vanity as best I can, even though it's impossible to completely ignore.
Maybe I can try and justify away the training of my youth, but it's easy to tell myself that I can fix myself up once in a while, but I can't turn myself into a beauty queen daily.
Yeah, my mother ruined me.
MsAmber

Drea said...

I go out w/ my hair wet all the time. Although in the winter I try not to because my hair would literally freeze...
But in the summer I do a lot.
It will dry pretty normal looking.

Since I had my perm its very easy to style...(never again will I get one, it was real harsh on my hair)
I just take a shower... put some leave in conditioner in it. Scrunch it up and boom your done!
It gives it the curly mess looking... which seems to be in lol.

I still prefer my hair straight tho.. which takes time.

Drea said...

mess look... not looking :-)

Fightin' Mad Mary said...

As you know, I live in THE most vain city - ever. I guess it's been rubbing off on me. I usually take something like 8-12 photos before I'm happy with one I'll post on my blog.

I would love to compare our morning routines....

MsAmber said...

My morning routine is simple:
The German Shepherd starts sharking me (cruising around my bed) until I get up and let them out.
I pour my cup of coffee and sit at the computer and read a few blogs and my email, refill coffee twice.
An hour before I need to leave, I run through the shower. Throw on some clothes. Iron them if necessary. Stick on some underarm deodorant and brush my teeth and brush my hair, wipe my face with witchhazel, blow my nose and make sure I don't have any goop in my eyes.
Grab my purse and lunchbox, put the dogs out and the cats in, start the truck and drive to work.
That's my routine. I'm easier than a guy when it comes to getting out the door.

MsAmber