Friday, January 13, 2006

It's Friday! Yayyy!

I have a plethora of challenges to conquer today at work.
One of my customers called me and said her shortcut didn't work. I logged in and looked at it, and sure enough: someone had changed it to .net instead of .com It was easy to fix, and took all of 2 minutes to login and check it. She lowered her voice, conspiratorially, and said she thought her boss was getting on her computer and messing things up. I assured her that this isn't a big deal, give me a call if you need anything else. I get a call later from her co-worker, who informed me that employee said she had enough and she quit.
Over a shortcut? Because she doesn't know how to open a browser and type in an address? Or do you think it may have been because she thinks her boss is sabotaging her? hmmm...
Another customer has an internal modem that isn't working. No big deal. They will simply have to buy a USRobotics external 56k. That is what we support anyway. Since they need to be initialized in DOS, the internal modems are hit and miss.
I have a customer who says all her default DX codes are missing. Somehow I doubt that, but I will log in and get a backup of her database to find out what happened to them. I think they may have deleted them, but the database will tell...
Medicare is giving me nightmares. One state wants the numbers in box 24K and 33pin, another state wants one number in 24K and another number in 33pin. Another state says: If there is a number in box 33group, then DON'T put a number in 33pin, but it still needs to be in 24K.
Medicare is Federal! How can they change requirements all the time? Aaaargh!
I work with software developers. I test and support a Beta product.
One of my big challenges is duplicating an error. When a customer calls with a problem, I need to duplicate that problem in order to report it. The programmers will kick the ticket back to me if they don't have enough information. Sometimes, It's easier just to get into SQL and manipulate the tables to make the issue go away. They don't like for me to do that very often, but some of my customers ask me to anyway. "Amber, would you just get into the tables and remove this transaction?" I'm always getting into trouble. C'est La Vie.

Here is a joke:
A Manager, an Engineer, and a Programmer were driving down the road. All of a sudden the brakes went out. They were able to get the car stopped in a grassy area, so no-one was hurt. They get out of the car. The Manager says: "Let's have a meeting and assign an independent panel to figure out what went wrong." The Engineer says: "No, Let's take apart the entire brake system and find the problem and repair it." The Programmer says: "Let's push the car back up the hill and see if it happens again."

MsAmber

6 comments:

Nicole said...

Wait, she QUIT? Over a shortcut???

And to think of all the crap that I'VE been putting up with over the years. Wow, I should have much higher standards...

blank profile said...

Hey baby, I've never even been to Purvis. If you can believe that happy crappy.

Most people think that I've like, been everywhere and shit. That's not the case.

Bob Hoeppner said...

I'm a software developer. I know exactly what you mean about the reproducibility of an error. Sometimes there's an error because data isn't what's expected, so, without the same data, it can be hard to identify the error. And then, once the bug is identified and fixed, there's the problem of getting the data out of corrupt state, which is usually easier by just doing SQL, but if the DB isn't available then the program needs to be self-healing of past mistakes. Kind of a pain.

Anonymous said...

After all that, sounds like you deserve a break this weekend.

crallspace said...

I called tech support at MAC, and I bet, if that girl has a blog, she mentioned me...

My Mouth said...

Love the joke!