Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Amber's Pet Hospital. How can I help you?

I got home today, looking forward to microwaving some fried rice and watching several episodes of Little House on the Prairie.
The phone rings. It's not a number that I recognize... I answer it anyway.
"Miss Amber? This is Kandelyn. Me and Jon are at Caley's house. Her puppy got attacked by some other dogs and we didn't know who to call... Can we come over?"
So she brought the puppy to my house. I met them in the street, because by the sound of her voice, I could tell she was scared.
It was a 6 week old chocolate lab female. A big dog had bitten her head. Puncture wounds on the ear, neck, jaw, and beside her left eye. The one by her eye is pretty large. If it were a human, I would recommend stitches. There was a considerable amount of blood, and the pup was traumatized. Her eyes were red and bloodshot, and she was shaking. I held her and tried to wipe the dirt away to see the extent of her wounds. The pup started squealing. Aww. Poor thing. The kids were getting very upset about the puppy's cries. My shirt was already ruined, so I didn't worry about getting any more blood on it. I turned on the shower and got in with the pup in my arms. I managed to get all the slobber and dried blood off her coat, she cried, but it was the fastest way to get her cleaned up. No need in dragging out the misery any longer than necessary. I packed the cuts with some soothing pet gel that's designed for open wounds, wrapped her up in a blanket, and sat in the rocking chair. She ate some Bil Jac out of my hand and I rocked her to sleep. The bleeding stopped, but the poor baby was so tired.
Finally Caley's parents got home. The pup is doing fine. The kids are definitely going to sleep like logs tonight after their very traumatizing day.

MsAmber

2 comments:

Nicole said...

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!

I'm so happy you were there to take care of that poor puppy! And it was good that you were calm during the whole thing. That probably made everybody (including the puppy) feel so much better.

Ever thought of starting a vet clinic? Sounds like you've got the calling. ;)

MsAmber said...

I owe everyone a follow up:
The pup went to the vet the next day and got her shots. She was wormy, so they gave her the cure. She is sore, but her skull isn't cracked and her jaw is in the right place. She'll be given soft food for a few days.
Everything is right with the Universe, and the pup is going to be just fine.
MsAmber