Saturday, December 03, 2005

I Have No Life Outside Of Computing

My Winter Schedule:
I get up about 6:20, let the dog out, pour a cup of coffee and sit down to check my email. Smoke a cig and drink my coffee. At 6:35 I get up and make my bed, shower, brush my teeth, dress and I'm out the door at 7:05. I don't comb my hair when it's wet, so my hair is wet and tangled.
I stop by the 7-11 and get my "NoFear", and drive to work.
I listen to the radio, loudly, changing the station whenever a commercial comes on. Singing at the top of my voice and drinking my caffeine drink.
When I get to work, I B.S. with Terrie for a minute or so, put my WonderWoman lunchbox in the fridge, then I go turn on my lamps, light a candle, put on my headset and sit at my computer. I have two computers there, so I can be uploading files on one and still open logs on the other. Or I can have both computers uploading at once. Around 10:00 I go brush my hair because it's finally dry.
I check my blog when I have time, and read others. Mostly, I go through my queue and start calling customers and testing problems in the program. I log into their computers using GoToMyPc, Remote Desktop Connection, UltraVnc, or PCAnywhere. Then I will help them with their issues. Sometimes I just show them how to do something, othertimes I will have to manipulate data in the SQL tables, or work on their Electronic Claims Submission scripts, or troubleshoot their modems. Whatever it takes to get them working. I will sometimes have them install GoToMyPc so that I can get into their routers to make PCAnywhere work(forwarding ports 5631 tcp and 5632 udp). Sometimes I have to fuss with them that they can't install those stupid free screensavers and junk because it hoses up their computers, *especially* those offices that use their server as a workstation.
I get yelled at a lot. There are a couple of customers that I've learned how to yell back at them because it's the only method of communication that they can understand.
I have customers who know nothing, and don't want to know- "Just fix it!" they say.
I have customers who know enough to be dangerous, so I change the password to SQL so they can't start experimenting.
I have customers who know more than I do, and I wonder why they bother to call me.
I have customers who adore me and send presents in the mail - it makes my day.
I have customers who HATE me and send emails to my boss trying to circumvent me.
I work on platforms from Win95 through Server2000 and XPpro. But my ECS processors are all DOS-based, which keeps me in DOS practice.
I instant-messenger my Dad and a few customers during the day, and read my favorite comic strips, respond to a few emails, and read some blogs.
At 5:00 I go home.
I let the dog out again and do the dishes, feed the critters and change their water, put on my nightclothes and light a candle, then I sit at my computer and build webpages or write my blog entry. I have a mirror next to my monitor so I can watch the TV behind me when Little House On The Prairie comes on at 7:00.
I'm still on the computer when my husband comes home at 10:18. Then I log off and visit with him for a few minutes and go to bed.
The next morning, it starts all over again.
The above picture is what I look like in the Summer when I have a real life.

*Yawn* I'm so boring.

MsAmber

11 comments:

Drea said...

Hi MsAmber,
Awe... one of our students Taylor commented on your blog! Taylor is 14. Shes one of our very snazzy students , hehe... She beautiful and has a very neat and interesting personality! Not to mention shes a great actress! ;-)

Hi TAYLOR!

Any how Amber.
I dont think your life is boring. Theres nothing wron gwith having SLOW times in life.

I play this game called Gunbound online with teenagers... and they always make fun of me saying "What are you doing on this game? Your old... do you not have a life!" Silly thing to say. I mean what am I suppose to do while my baby names for 3 hours? Theres only so much cleaning you can do in a small 2 bedroom apartment! I cant leave him and go out while he naps... So I may as well play an online game to entertain myself. Its either that... or watching TV. And TV bores me most of the time.

If I dont do something like that I end up napping for 3 hours when he does.. then midnight strolls around and I'm not a bit tired. So I try not to nap much that much any more..

But then people are like "Well why dont you get a job you loser!" HELLoooo.... I got a 24-7 job already. Way more important than any other job. BEING A MOM.
Shoot if I dont have to work outside of the home you better believe I'm going to take advantage of that. Some people arent so fortunate to have a hubby who makes enough to support the whole family on his own.

Not saying we are rich.. cause we arent. We live pay check to pay check.. but I would rather be at home with Caleb than outside the home making a few extra bucks.

Okay.. im rambling.
See Calebs napping right now so I'm trying to stay awake! :-D

Drea said...

Oh yes and I love your hair curly like that. Beautiful

Aaron said...

So this is one of the possibilities I have to look forward to with a degree in IT, huh? (I'm a computer networking major). Guess it still beats Giant Eagle.

Aaron said...

So this is one of the possibilities I have to look forward to with a degree in IT, huh? (I'm a computer networking major). Guess it still beats Giant Eagle.

Nabonidus said...

Hey Amber, I liked this post! I tried 5 times yesterday to say so, but this blog verification glitch was preventing me!
I like hearing about people's lives, the mundane little details. It's interesting to me.And I liked that picture! might be the best one I've seen of you! Blonde is best for you,
definitely! xoxoLisa

Nabonidus said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Romeo Whiskey said...

Cool changes to your Blog babe, way cool. Now maybe you can help make some changes to mine. Please, please, please, hail to the HTML queen!

Travis or P.T. said...

hi... I don't know about you, but rather than boring... I find the simplest life sometimes the most satisfying. Sometimes I get tired of all the hussle and bussle. :)

Gina said...

I'm so sorry you have customers who hate you. That must stink. You're not boring. You've been skydiving. Hello! That is amazingly cool and exciting!

Flubberwinkle said...

Ms Amber,
I love how you categorized the ridiculi. I find the ones who "know enough to be dangerous" the most annoying. They go behind your back experimenting with various "stuff", installing any old bs their hi-tech computer pals give them. I have locked down access as well (it saves me time and any hassle of trying to explain why they should NOT add any software that is not work related or approved by the IT dept).
I have had great fun with PCAnywheres (although since "my customers" and I are inside a local network I use the lighter version: RealVNC).
;-)

JoeBoy said...

Gosh, I wish I could recall the details of my day like you can. I have enjoyed reading your blog.