Friday, December 30, 2005

The House Is Party-Clean!

I'm ready, ya'll. D and D are stopping by tomorrow-day. They just moved into their own apartment and they requested towels for a housewarming present.
This has an interesting story behind it. D and D are both young, She is 17 and he is 19. They are a great young couple, they are actually two of my favorite people, and they are learning about independence as we speak. They have decent work ethics, they are funny as can be, and I watched them grow up. That puts them in a special place in my heart.
The girl, D, and her sister T, when they were younger, came to visit me often, and I kept them on the payroll as they had chores. The three girls were latchkey kids with a single mom. One time, I found makeup smudges on my favorite Turkish towels. I was nice about it, I just asked the girls to please use one of a thousand washcloths to remove their makeup, DO Not wipe your mascara on my towels. It was something I felt they needed to learn. But I also understand why it upset them, they didn't know any better. Afterwards, they started showing almost obsessive reverence for my stuff. I also always had strict "rules" about borrowing stuff. If you borrow, you announce what time/what day you will return that item. If that item is not returned, you may not borrow anything else until said item is returned or explained or replaced. You know, the standard ettiquette. I taught them this. But they always thought the TOWEL issue was a little much.
D & D are setting up house now. They went to the store to get some essentials with their Christmas money. They saw the price of decent bathtowels. She calls me and reminds me of the towel incident and said she never realized how much towels cost, gosh, she always thought they were just... Towels! And that's what she wants for her housewarming present. (I told her to wait post-Christmas, then let me know what she really needs.)

I'm sooo doing the happy dance.

MsAmber

No comments: