Thursday, November 24, 2005

My Beautiful Dog (with the big heart)

This is my beautiful, big hearted dog. His name is Megabyte.
He is exceptionally well behaved, and has been since day 1.
I found him on the highway in June of 2001. He was about 4 months old and was nearly dead. He had millions of seed ticks all over his ears and face, he was anemic, wormy, and dizzy.
I was heading west into the sunset, could barely see, and I saw a little pile in the road. When I got close enough to see it was a dog, I veered sharply to the right and skid off the road into the ditch. I was driving a 1976 Pontiac Ventura, so it wasn't a big deal to swing myself back out of the ditch.

I got out of my car and went over to see if the puppy had been hit. He was scared and confused. I picked him up and he piddled all over me. I grabbed a blanket out of the trunk and put him in the front seat. After that, I couldn't get him to get out of the car. He was staying with me for good. I noticed that he had some nerve damage. He couldn't focus his eyes, and he would get dizzy when he closed his eyes. He was miserable. And the worms - Oh it made me cry to hear him whining when he went poo. There were thousands of worms. I thought for sure he was going to die. And I couldn't afford all the vet bills it would take to fix him up RIGHT NOW. I took him home, but I couldn't bring him inside with all those fleas and ticks. I put the blanket on the ground in the front yard and brought him food and water. The next day he was still there. I bathed him over and over until it was like torture, but I HAD to. I used my nails and just scraped the ticks off his ears. He had heart, though. I took him to the vet and asked him to JUST take care of the worms for now, I would bring him back for shots and stuff later. I have lost dogs to parvo, and I'm not spending that kind of money for a mutt that I just found in the middle of the road.
Well, Megabyte got steadily better. I got his shots. I discovered all kinds of things that he is afraid of. Scissors, pocketknives, flyswatters. I can't help but wonder how he could know what those things are. He also hates being on a leash. I was frustrated by that for a while, but Megabyte showed me that he will heel just fine and he always minds me. I can walk him anywhere and he stays right by my side. Everyone who meets him just adores him, I can't keep people from trying to spoil him. He also doesn't like for you to raise your voice. He minds all commands even if you whisper them or just use the hand gestures. Such a sensitive soul.
He knows I'm talking about him now, and he is looking up at me. Oh wait, no, he just wants to go out. He is also a very patient dog. He allows the cat to pounce on him and steal his food.
We take him everywhere with us. He goes canoeing, camping, I take him out to the farm while I muck out the sheep pens, there is a little ram that he plays with. I took him out shooting, thinking he would run, but he didn't . He just stepped back a few feet and hunkered down and waited for me to call him. He has learned all his tricks: sit, stay, lay-down, catch, and my favorite - spin. Rob calls him "Twistie" because he does this funny twisting-thing when he's excited. Nearly every day we look at him and say: "That's the best dog I've ever had." We are really going to be traumatized if anything happens to Megabyte.
He's very perceptive, loving, meek. His face makes every expression that a human's face makes. He even sighs when he's bummed. He can 'hold it' forever, not that I let that happen, but it's been proven.
There are some neighborhood dogs that come by the fence and Megabyte gets all prancy and gets his hackles up, we laugh because he looks like such a badass. Then one day, he went to meet a chihuahua. That little shit started a fight and jumped on Megabyte. I opened the door and he came running in with this little rat-dog hanging off the back of his neck. Megabyte looked panicked, like "What is it Mom? Get it off, Get it off!" It was the funniest thing I've ever seen. I'm cracking up now, just remembering.
Rob said that Megabyte will never live it down, getting beat up by a chihuahua.
Another thing, I had heard that Blue Heelers will herd cows out of instinct, so I took him to a friend's house that has cows. Megabyte and I went for a walk. We were within mere feet of the cows and what does my dog do? He started chasing butterflies. He didn't even notice the cows. That was so funny to see a dog playing with butterflies while surrounded by cows watching. I wish I had taken my camera for that.
I love my Dog.

8 comments:

Drea said...

Hi Amber, what a pretty dog! I love dogs. I cant have them because I'm really allergic... if he/she was outdoors I could... but indoors would be really bad for me.

Do you like cats as well?

Drea said...

Oh and what a cute name... Megabyte :-)

Glad he was okay after that accident.

MsAmber said...

I have two cats. A 1 year old orange tabby named Tigger, and a 5 month old siamese kitten named Joey.
We also have a fish named George II (the Second). Following in the tradition of George the first.
He's a betta in a flower vase.
MsAmber
I am very good with animals. It's a gift.

crallspace said...

That is a beautiful dog...

I've seen his 'type' around town/ The owner was too much of a dildo to engage in conversation with me and tell me what the hell breed it was.

Destiny said...

Hey! I know your dog's cousin mad dog rufus. I posted his picture for you and he is an austrailian cattle dog.

Drea said...

I love pets. All types. I could even come to love a pet snake. HAHA.
Travis couldn't though.
Well.. you know I dont think I could come to love a pet spider... or any type of bug. I'm a wimp when it comes to bugs.

Snakes... no problem. Bugs.... I'm a sissy.

I have a cat back in NC waiting for me. Her names Carla. Shes a Romanxx. Beautiful cat. She has a stub tail. So CUTE! She wags it and we call it the duster cause its like a fuzzy duster.

And I also have a bird named Flippy back home. I raised him from an egg... hand fed him. He is the tamest bird ever. He is a cockatiel. I know those can be really annoying. But he is one of the normal ones.

:-)
Our apartmet doesnt allow pets. So whenever we get a place that does I will adopt my pets back. For the mean time my parents are more than happy to care for them...

Fightin' Mad Mary said...

Love your Dog! He just has the look of love in his eyes. It’s pretty obvious that you both have big giant hearts! My 18 year old girl named Buttercream recently had a stroke and we had to put her down. It was truly THE most difficult moment in my life. She was a rescue dog that I adopted from a shelter in Huntsville Texas and we went everywhere together. She drove across the country with me at least three times, and when I started working here in Los Angeles the company I was working for even let me bring her to work with me.
My husband and are planning to adopt another dog soon and you can just be it’ll be a rescue dog again – I be sure to keep you posted!

Flubberwinkle said...

You are kindred souls, both of you sound like you have megabyte hearts!