Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Where the hell am I? Oh yeah, El Reno, OK.

On Thursday, October 15th, I was headed to work at the VA in Billings and the electrical system in the van died. I called the replacement technician and told him I would be a little late and started troubleshooting the electrical problem by the side of the road at 7:15 a.m. I tore apart the dash, I took out the fuse block, I chased the wires down, I pulled the stereo out. I found that my ignition wire was a dead short to ground - but WHERE? By 11:30 I couldn't solve the puzzle so I called a tow truck and had it towed to Speedo & Electric in Billings. Guess what he found? Mice! Yep, I had mice chewing all over my wiring harness under the doghouse. The ignition wire was absolutely shorted to the block. At least we found the problem(s) and fixed them before I hit the road. I was leaving Montana on Friday, so the timing was perfect. That was $260 bucks. Then I rented a car-dolly and towed the Nissan all the way to Shreveport. I stopped off in Norman to unload some equipment and picked up Megabyte. Dropped off the Nissan in Shreveport, returned the car dolly to U-Haul in Shreveport, dropped off a KVM switch to the VA in Shreveport then drove home to Lafayette.
It rained nearly every day that I was in Lafayette. The yard was so full of water that the van got stuck in the driveway. I just knew I wouldn't be able to pull the RV out.
Friday, October 30th was my 39th birthday. It rained all day. When Chad got off work, I cooked dinner for everyone and he baked me a pumpkin pie. I didn't want to call it a night - being as it was my birthday and all, so I waited for my friend Nicky to get off work, she showed up finally around midnight and we sat around and got drunk and talked until 2:30 in the morning. Then the next morning I whipped together a couple of caveman costumes for Chad and myself, painted up and fixed up his youngest daughter, and we all went trick-or-treating. I may have been a little on the grumpy side - tad bit o' hangover and all...
It didn't rain at all on Saturday, Sunday, or Monday; so I thought maybe I could get the camper out of the yard after all. I packed up, hitched up, wired up a trailer harness, and Tuesday morning I pulled it right out. I drove the 631 miles yesterday. The transmission is real weak, but it pulled it just fine - I just took it easy. I got here in El Reno last night (well, this morning), found a camping spot, set up the camper, took a shower, and went to bed. I got up this morning, drank my coffee, walked the dogs, checked my emails, and went to work.
I'm done now - and I don't have to work tomorrow except to sit-in on a conference call at 1:00.
Whew.
I just opened a beer - say goodnight Amber.
Goodnight Amber.

(Grin)
MsAmber

No comments: