Saturday, May 30, 2009

It's Saturday...

Yesterday I was working when I got a call from Ms. Doris. She asked if I was in the area, I said no, she had popped a breaker and she couldn't reach it and didn't have electricity. Luckily Chad was nearby so he ran over here during his lunch break to take care of it. Then when I got home she called me and asked for me to come look at something. The dern dogs got into a big fight and it scared her so she tried to break it up. She wound up getting bit or scratched on her foot and she pulled some back muscles heaving the biggest dog out the door. I got her sitting up in bed and I Shanghai'd the new dog Lucky. Lucky is over at my house now.
Megabyte and Spot have told Lucky where he stands in the pecking order. He slept all night with no accidents (Ms. Doris says he's not housebroken). It may be because I get up real early that the dog didn't have to try and hold his pee. But there are no messes this morning. I think I'm going to hold on to this little bugger until arrangements can be made to give him back to his owner. He's a cute little guy, but I really don't care much for small dogs. It is a quick and dirty solution to her dog-fighting problem, though. Just remove the antagonist.

Last job of the day I had to extend that stupid ladder as high as it would go and lay it on the span. That wasn't too bad until it was time to take it down. I got it unhooked and standing vertically, then I released the catches and let it collapse down. Then I went to walk it down. You have to move fast at this point because it is a controlled fall. You have to get to it's balance point quickly or the feet will kick up and it will see-saw over your head. I was walking on treacherous ground so I didn't get to the balance point quickly enough and it started to fall into the road. I bent myself backwards to reach for the balance point and control it down but it hit me on top of the head and my arms were too tired to physically lift it off my head. I think I'm about an inch shorter than I was before. It hurt my back, elbow, wrist, and my head. I didn't drop the ladder though.
That stupid ladder is going to give me gray hairs. I was sore yesterday evening, but I feel ok now, my wrist is the only thing that hurts. Stupid ladder!

I've got one more day of work before I get a day off. Shoot, by the time a day off comes around I need it. I got a 100% on image inspection yesterday. I found out that my hardhat expires in a month. I said "Hardhats have an expiration date?" The inspector said it was good right now, but I won't pass the next inspection with it. Apparently they are only good for 5 years. Who knew? So, I'm going to buy a new hardhat this month. White, with no stickers or embellishments. Gee, they take away all the fun. I was wanting to glue dreadlocks underneath my next one so it's like a wig and a hardhat all in one...

That same last job that I fought with the ladder wound up being fairly labor-intensive. I had to relocate the aerial to a place on the house that was closer to electricity and it had it's cabling painted over on the side of the house and it was very messy. I pulled it all off the side of the house and left scarring in the paint but I changed everything around to the way it should be. The verdict is still out - will the customer try to put a damage claim on me for pulling paint off the house or will she accept it and just have it touched up? The house had been recently painted, but they gobbed the paint over the cables and connectors and I had to peel them off. Some of the cables were cut underneath the house and had to be pulled out, really it was the only way to sort out which cables were good and needed to be made live and which were dead-ends. I spent 'way too much time trying to do a proper job.

Anyway, gotta run through the shower now and go knock down another day.
You have a great day.
MsAmber

No comments: