Thursday, January 22, 2009

Megabyte is getting 3 teeth pulled

I noticed my boy has been having a little dried blood on his bottom lip, and some stains on the pillow where he lays his head. I've looked into his mouth to see if it's ulcerating again, but it doesn't appear to be too bad. Then I started to see pink dribbles on the floor. So, I took him to the vet yesterday.
For one: I have to say I like this vet. Even Meg liked him, even though he tortured Meg mercilessly by feeling all through his mouth. The prognosis is not too good though. He has a lot of bone loss in his mouth and both canines and one molar need to be removed. I got some antibiotics and we are going to get rid of the infection before scheduling his tooth removal. I asked the vet if Meg will still be able to eat hard food and he said "Yes". He told me that Meg is pretty healthy and the boy still has many years left. Not to worry. The bone loss needs to be stopped, and those three teeth must come out. He wants to see how the antibiotics are working in one week, so next Thursday we go back in for a follow-up check, but it will be two weeks before we schedule the extractions. He was real good with Megabyte. Meg whined a little about the feeling around in his mouth, but the vet petted him and talked to him and was very thorough.
Also, I had him check for heartworms. The good news: he's still negative. I will put him on Heartgard as soon as we are done fixing his mouth.
This vet didn't try to milk me for a lot of extras, he didn't act "holier than thou", his front desk persons didn't act like jerks-who-hate-their-job, and I didn't get any bad attitude as though I neglected my dog until his mouth rotted out. I feel as though I have to explain that I do take care of my boy; this mouth thing has been ongoing for years and I've spent a lot of money trying to take care of it. This vet actually has a plan to make it go away. I'm really happy. Scared of the bill, yeah. But happy that it will finally be taken care of. I can't wait.
The name of the clinic is: Prejean Veterinary Clinic, 1101 West Port Street, in Abbeville, LA 70510
Donations are accepted!

Have a great day!
MsAmber

No comments: