Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Alrighty Then.... Hmmmm.

I found out today that I am the lead tech over the whole project. Pretty cool.
I was also taken aside and asked who I would cut if I had to get rid of some extra employees.
OUCH!
I tried to waffle a little bit, and I thought of all my guys. Some of them aren't the sharpest tools in the shed, but they have willing hearts. They will do their best for you, all you have to do is give them some direction. Others are overly hard workers, but not exactly on the reliable side... And then others have already proved dishonesty. I really struggled with my list...
I picked one who has proven dishonesty, and he's a little disgruntled anyway - I have a feeling he's looking for something else and isn't too pleased with the long drive.
I picked two who have no experience and move slowly. I appreciate somebody who can hustle, not take 10 minutes to fetch some allthread from the trailer. It doesn't take two people to walk out for one piece of allthread, etc.
The next section is a hard one - Do I pick the two that are funny and hard working but may not be reliable if they have a hangover? Or do I pick the two who went along with the dishonesty of number 1? Do I pick the two young guys who are acting like rednecks on the jobsite (calling the hispanic crew "Beaners")?
It makes sense to remove one from each pair, and it would straighten out the other one, since these bad habits are a direct result of a "pack mentality".
The problem here is that I am vaguely familiar with all of their life-situations. Who has a new baby, who is going to school, who is really trying to ____________. (fill in the blanks)
I'm more of a mentor than a dictator, I see the potential in every one of my guys. Wishing I could work with them and teach them a trade that would guarantee a meal on their table and pride in their work for life.
I'm so sad for having to choose. I guess this is the next step for me in becoming a project manager though. I have to let go of wanting to make a difference in people's lives, and just focus on the job.
I really should be a trainer.

Peace,
MsAmber

3 comments:

Flubberwinkle said...

There's really nothing intellectual I can add that will facilitate your decision. You said it all: "I'm more of a mentor than a dictator, I see the potential in every one of my guys."
Hope they know how lucky they are you're leading.

Bob Hoeppner said...

It's rough. I've had to make such decisions in the past. I always tried to be scrupulously fair. One thing that surprised me was people who were let go making false charges against me. It never occured to me that people would lie. So, perhaps your sense of the potential litigiousness of the workers involved may play a pragmatic part in your calculations.

iamthewalrus said...

HI ms amber. I'm always happy to find blogs as nice as yours. I see you've read "FOREVER AMBER". I can be found at http://eastelmhurst.blogspot.com &
http://redhotrabbit.modblog.com