Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Ewwww. Disgusting.

Okay, a medical grossness blog entry.
Today I was scheduled for an abdomenal CT scan. This involved 24 hours of clear liquids only diet, then a complete bowel cleansing kit... Lots of water, some gross alka-seltzer-like stuff first, then four laxatives, then a suppository. Meanwhile, drinking three big banana flavored barium smoothies. One at 10:00 last night, then one at 5:00 this morning, and another at 7:00 this morning. When I got to the hospital, I had to drink another one. So, I thought the worst was over... After the first CT scan, they injected another kind of contrast-material into my bloodstream. This stuff made me flush, I tasted and smelled strong chemicals, and it felt like I peed myself, even though it was expected, it still felt awful. I got my second scan. Then, I puked.
The CT scan technician held my head and a garbage can while I heaved. She put wet washcloths on my neck and forehead. She said that was normal, lots of people puke. Then I got the third scan. I left the hospital and I felt so hungry and tired and disgusting. I just drove straight home and went to bed. (I was supposed to go to work!)
I just woke up and fed the dogs and fixed myself a bowl of Chunky Chicken Noodle soup. I'm thinking I'll never eat bananas or banana-flavored anything ever again.

MsAmber

3 comments:

Flubberwinkle said...

I hope everything's fine.
The downsides: The injection sucks. Anything with banana flavor, besides a real live banana, sucks too.
The upside: All those fluids and laxatives gave your insides a major spring cleaning.
Think of it as major toxin releaser. You are now toxin free and banana scented!
:-)
Last week I had a tube go down and ivestigate my belly while a couple of nurses slapped my veins silly to get them to stop hiding. I bruise easily so the needles all left their marks. Luckily I hadn't eaten anything for two days, cause that tube would have caused some serious heaving, Hercules style.

Anonymous said...

zardoz says :
whatever it is its spreading,

next week ill tell of my

sickness. HOPE EVERYONE

GETS WELL ...... =Z=

Bob Hoeppner said...

I got a sigmoidoscopy about twenty years ago. On my way home on the subway I felt like I'd been raped. I couldn't believe that the people around me didn't notice it.