Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Just Stop

I wish I could move into the forest.
I would build a house up in the trees.
I would have a couple of fallow pigs for big celebrations,
and a few chickens scratching around on the ground and roosting on my porch.
A sassy little milk-goat with long horns and a big udder.
I would have one dog to guard us all, he would know his job and do it well.
I would tend to the forest and all it's creatures.
I would grow plants in containers, high up in the tree, to provide me with what the forest doesn't.
I would plant fruit bearing trees on that hill.
I would plant blackberries over there.
Wild onions down yonder.
Muscadine grapes everywhere.
Mushrooms to be found all around.
A trout stream just a short walk away.
I would share the bounty with whomever I meet.
I would wear long skirts and sweaters, and probably be barefoot.
Keep my hair in a braid, and wear buckeye necklaces.
Wash my body in cold water and call it 'invigorating'.
There would always be dirt under my nails,
and a smile on my face.

This is truly what I want. Not a passing fancy. I wouldn't miss people, television, commercialized holidays, contributing to the G.N.P., or anything like that.
I'll emerge every once-in-a-blue-moon for supplies like: a new knife, some koshering salt, brandy, iodine and antibiotic salve, strings for my guitar... But otherwise I would keep it as simple as possible.

Husband won't go for it. This isn't his idea of heaven as it is for me. He wants to always be a block away from a convenience store. Maybe he will let me go on sabbatical for a couple of weeks each Summer. I can go out to the farm and hike to the back 40 and camp out alone with the dog. It's not quite the same as I had imagined, but it's a possibility.
(sigh)
I don't like this rat race. I want everything to just stop. Let me breathe in the sunshine, let me be bored. I want to feel sleepy in the sun.
I don't want to talk to anyone but God, and I don't want to hear anyone but God.

Why are we all forced to work? Why do I have to spend $50.00 in gas per week to work 40 hours per week to get a paycheck and pay for insurance on my car, my health, and my house. Make a house payment, pay for electricity, water, sewer, garbage, telephone, cell phone, cable-tv, alarm, internet, groceries, periodicals, income tax, sales tax, property tax?
I feel trapped. I can't just decide to stop. I want to. But I won't.

This is being grown-up. It sucks.
And it goes on for years and years and years.

MsAmber

6 comments:

Romeo Whiskey said...

Honey with the way my job has been going here lately that idea is sounding better & better all the time. One thing you did forget about dear is poor Megabyte he is a city dog you know. How do you think he would handle the stress of the great outdoors? A squirrel would probably be enough to send him over the edge!

Martian Anthropologist said...

Got your comment on my blog. Do I know you?

Feel free to email me at m@townofautumn.com

crallspace said...

I like that fantasy... close to the kind of thing I want, but the wife won't go for it. Plus, I am a little too addicted to some things in civilization, and want friends nearby.

You can move closer to that kind of lifestyle. I once lived in the midwest where it's quickly becoming a Wal Mart parking lot, with no recycling or quality, local anything anymore. All globalized, cheapened yet expensive crap.

In ORE, it's about a half or 3/4 jump to what you are talking about and a lot of people here in Corvallis live close to what you desrcibed, and some, exactly, though perhaps closer to civilization than your dream. Other towns, even more so. I want to check out this hippy town nearby called Summit, and I'll report back. Then, as you move up north beyond Washington, Canada, into Alaska, you get more secluded.

I like your dream. I am striving to live green, abandon old habits, reuse, recycle (which I've always done), etc. I am taking a course in Deep Ecology that teaches simplicity, spirtuality and the earth, sustainability, etc. Wonderful.

Maybe you and the hubby could meet halfway, and get the hell outta Norman. Go somehwere like Boulder, CO.... or maybe somewhere else like Iceland. Life is too short to be in constant despair of one's surroundings.

Bob Hoeppner said...

I hear ya. It gives me even more of a sense of urgency to write as much poetry as I can before it all just grinds me down into the dirt.

Nicole said...

I'd miss you, MsAmber! I'd still be in the land over overcommercialized [un]civilization. ;)

Flubberwinkle said...

A cottage in the woods sounds good. I'd like to be the "nearest" neighbour on the next hill.