Wednesday, February 15, 2006

The Real Meat And Taters

All this week I've had a topic that I wanted to blog about, but I couldn't think of a way to convey the ideas that I have on the subject, so I copped out with a couple of no-brainer posts.

The subject on my mind is this:
The Financial Fiasco that is Katrina Relief.

What about setting a standard? The minimum standard should include the sustenance items such as 'food stamp eligible' groceries. I think the massage parlors/liquor stores/tattoo shops should be sued for accepting government money intended for emergency relief for the Katrina refugees, anyone with an ounce of sense knew that wasn't in the spirit of the charity. The idea that it isn't illegal shouldn't be an excuse to throw propriety to the wind. I also think that the people/companies who took advantage of the confusion to extort monies should work it off on a chain-gang shovelling up the muck. CEOs in orange jumpsuits.
The problem here is the trashy culture. I can't claim it's black or white, its not racial, it's cultural. Welfare abusers, drug addicts, alcoholics... Why did we give them $2,000 cards? (Lack of accountability?)

We should have set up a few massive housing projects and kitchens. Have it fenced in and managed by the military. A Refugee Camp? If you have someplace else to go, then transportation will be provided, after you register with the Katrina emergency services. Otherwise you have a bed, bathroom and a hot meal (bean porridge hot, bean porridge cold, bean porridge in the pot - 9 days old.) Donated clothes and supplies are being delivered by the truckload daily.
This arrangement would have given everyone a chance to stop and breathe and plan out the next move. This would also have prevented the scattering of all the people. It was and is important to be able to identify every victim, alive or dead.
The elderly and those who needed a bit more attention should have been offered the cruise ships. (since we so hastily signed a contract.)
It should have been declared a "Police State" as soon as the first shots were fired.
We should have required people to register and receive their temporary identification cards as soon as it was practicable. Anyone not registering by mail or in person by a certain date will be ineligible to make a claim, (insert small print here: unless interviewed by an independent panel and found to have been unable to comprehend the simple instructions and/or in a coma). The persons registering fake addresses and fake social security numbers could be held on Federal embezzlement charges: 8 to 10 baby!
Oooh I'm so mad about this.
The real malfunction is that the majority don't think they did anything wrong. They have such a strong sense of entitlement, they really believe that the money they misappropriated somehow belongs to them rightfully. It's the culture of welfare.
Thanks Roosevelt.
I DO believe in a minimum standard of living for the downtrodden and disabled and elderly. I believe in military deferments in exchange for jail time. Judge gives the gangsta punks a choice: Army 4 years or Jail 4 years. I believe in State run daycare. I believe that school should only be mandatory up to the 8th grade, but free all the way through a bachelor's degree. I believe in orphanages, and taking kids away from bad parents permanently to be adopted or raised in the orphanage. I believe in community gardens, and I don't believe in planting anything that has no food value. (Why can't Apple trees be planted in Washington park?) I believe in homesteader's rights. I believe in accountability. Welfarians should have to turn in receipts to receive their next check. (Ooh, wouldn't that piss 'em off.)
I could go on. These things seem like common sense to me, I just don't get some of the decisions that people make.

MsAmber

3 comments:

Flubberwinkle said...

This is one mighty powerful post! I'm glad you found a way to convey your ideas into such a substantial article. I was nodding my head in agreement throughout, although I'm not qualified to judge the US welfare system since I'm not too clear on it. I learned a whole lot more however.

Bob Hoeppner said...

Either government doesn't respond fast enough and gets criticized for that, or it responds faster, but with less oversight, and then corruption takes advantage, and it gets criticized for that.

I certainly don't understand people buying a low-cost item with a welfare coupon, getting their change back in cash, with which they buy all kinds of trivial items. I've seen it happen.

Anonymous said...

zardoz says:


ms amber for prez.!

governor,,?


-z-