Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Trying To Explain My Mother


This is one of only two pictures I have of my Mother.

She was brilliant. A career student, but she always quit before she got a degree or certificate. She liked learning, and was always on the Dean's list. Straight 4.0, Word.
She had a photographic memory. She blamed it for her mental problems, said she could never forget.
This was Easter Sunday, 1983.
See the poster on the wall beside the front door? We hung it there to cover up a hole. She shot from the top of the stairs one night, when she thought someone was breaking in our house. When we woke up at the gunshot, she accused us of having put one in the chamber. I promise, we didn't, but she always had to blame mistakes on anyone else but herself.
It left a tiny hole in the wall inside the house, but the outside of the house had a huge exit hole, so we covered it up with a poster. We would change out the poster when it started looking faded. Didn't want the landlord to know she shot a hole in the wall, and it was unmistakably from a gun.
Mother had mental problems. As long as I had known her, she had always sported evidence of a drastic slashing to her wrists. These weren't little unsure scars, they were deep and there were perhaps 20 on each wrist. I asked her once if she ever considered suicide. She looked me right in the eyes and said she was too mean for that, she would just as soon kill everybody else than to try to kill herself. I believed her.
Growing up with her was always an adventure. We ran from place to place. Always afraid of the Social Services coming to get us. We lived for a while on a commune in Summertown Tennessee. It was vegetarian food, homespun clothes, kids working in the fields, and brainwashing. She couldn't take too much of that. We left in our stolen stationwagon and went to the first Burger Hut we could find and ate the BEST hamburgers of our lives.
We lived in the woods in Harts Run State Park. I remember a certain Mother's Day, the weather turned bad and some other campers decided to pack it in. They gave Mom the steaks that were in their cooler. She proudly brought them to our camp. We cooked them with the frog-gig that was in the toolbox, and ate them with our pocketknives on the end of a stump. She said it was the best Mother's day present ever.
We abandoned the stolen stationwagon there in the park.
We moved into a little apartment above an apothecary shop in White Sulphur Springs, WV. Mom made a deal with a little antique shop to pay $5.00 a week for an old sewing machine. Then she hitchhiked to Lewisburg and got a whole bunch of scrap linen and scrap lace.
She sewed all day and night. She made cuptowels and pillowcases out of the linen with lace borders. She sent my brother and I out to sell them. We went door-to-door and sold every single set for $7.00 each. We had our pathetic little faces and we told everybody that our mom made them so we could pay rent. We could sell as many as she could make.
We stayed in White Sulphur Springs for about a year. Meanwhile, she was applying for student loans at colleges all over.
We went to Bluefield and they rejected her because she wasn't black. They assumed by her name that she was black and were ready to take her.
We went to Elkins to the Davis & Elkins College. Mom made my brother and I be a part of her entrance interview. She wrote about our experiences at the Commune, and let the people interview us for our particular opinions. She got in.
So, we disappeared in the middle of the night from White Sulphur Springs, and started a new life in Elkins.
Now, the next maneuver was pure genius. I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't lived it.
We got a room at a nice little room and board in an affluent neighborhood. The blue house in this picture was directly across the street. Mom made great efforts to make us all look presentable. She wore pretty skirt-suits and put her hair up in the bee-hive (which I hadn't seen her do since the '70s). And started shmoozing with all the old ladies. She inquired about the big blue house and found out that the president of the bank was taking care of it for his sister. So she unbuttoned one of her top buttons and made her appointment with him. She negotiated the house for $500.00 per month. We moved in.
It was HUGE. Wood floors, three stories, fireplace, sunroom. And us, we didn't have a pot to piss in. The old ladies that mom made it a point to gossip with, were told that our furniture was being moved and would arrive on a certain date. My brother and I were always to back mom up in any of her lies, and I wondered how she would pull this off. Finally, the day came and went and we had no furniture. Mom put on quite a show. She cried and went into hysterics. The moving men had stolen all our stuff, her babies' christening gowns, her baby grand piano, all her pictures and family heirlooms, everything was gone. Boo Hoo.
They bought the story lock, stock and barrel. The donations were incredible. We got two couches, two refrigerators, washer and dryer, beds, clothes, drapes, money, more stuff than we knew what to do with. When we were done picking out what we wanted, there were garbage bags full we stored in one of the spare bedrooms.
Some of you are going to raise an eyebrow and say: That was wrong.
Some of you are going to say, "Wow, wish I'd have thought of that."
My mother and I began a war after this. She didn't tolerate disloyalty. As long as I was under her care, I was to do as I was told and never contradict her.
I had to be taught that lesson over and over, and it only got worse as I got older and had a mind of my own. Especially when she would let me take the rap for something she did, or blame me when she got caught in a lie. I grew to hate being her kid. I wished I belonged to any other family but mine.
This little story covers the years 1981-1983.

10 comments:

Fightin' Mad Mary said...

I'd call your mom a SURVIVOR!

Flubberwinkle said...

The way you portray your mother shows great admiration. You could have been bitter and written about your mother's flaws in a cruder manner. However, your love and loyalty for her glow throughout your written words. It seems you have already made peace with her.

I can only give my simpleton's view with great caution and affection for your onerous childhood.

I write my comment based on my experience as a mother and as a daughter. Children change everything in a person's life. They strain you of your own 'personal quest'. Their dreams, their needs, their wants become your main purpose. Once you have kids, you are no longer JUST [insert random name here], you are somebody's mother/father. No way you can back out of it. You're in for good. The stress and anxiety of making ends meet, shielding your family, dealing with your own shortcomings and molding young minds and souls is a heavy psychological (as well as physical) burden. There is no parenting school. One cannot just sign up for courses. You're stranded upstream without a paddle.

It's a fine line we walk not to snap under these pressures. Your mother was an intelligent woman and her mind's gears hit overload. She walked on that fine line many years. She wanted things different yet the wheels of fate were turning without her having the support of others (family, friends & professionals). She was a single mom with 3 mouths to feed and could rely only on her own resources: her brain, her stamina, her need for her children to huddle around her and support her choices.

I sympathize with your mother's internal battle. She was a gutsy, resourceful person. She was a mother caught, perhaps pushed, out of the norm, or what society calls 'conventional family living'. Her overworked, perhaps fragile, mind overlapped the spheres of reality and imagination.

The peace you seek is inside you. It is the love you still carry for your mother.

Jaime said...

Wow... you have a totally fascinating childhood - I think I need to go back and read that again to digest it all. You are so brave for sharing it all!

crallspace said...

Interesting story...
I have no childhood stories even similar.

ing said...

Ms. Amber:

I thought I posted her a few days back, but I guess the old connection booted me out.

This is a fantastic piece. You're very courageous to post it, and your instincts are spot on.

Kathleen Callon said...

It's obvious you loved and admired your Mom AND saw her as the person she was. She sounds like she was a firecracker, like you. (You're still cool, too.)

Romeo Whiskey said...

This is just one of many stories that my love has about her mother. I still remember the night that I fell in-love with her. This happened on a long drive back from Texas from her dad’s house. She told me stories of the way she was brought up, and some stories that would curl your hair about her mom. The thing that amazed me the most about her was how such a wonderful person could have come from such a background of horror. Most people would have drowned in alcohol and self-pity. Not my girl she is strong and has a heart of gold….

MsAmber said...

Thank you all for being so kind.
It was hard for me to push the Publish Button. It felt like I was laying bare a very private part of myself.
My relationship with my mother was full of contradiction. I love you/I hate you, from both of us.
It will take a long time to sort it all out, and I try to be fair and consider all that she had been through also. Yes, she was an amazing woman.
She worked like a mule, but she never held a job. So she raised us on her imagination, with a considerable amount of swindling.
And the 70's drug-culture had a lot to do with it, too.

MsAmber

Destiny said...

You are not alone. I have an aunt who does the same exact thing as your mom. This woman has lived in upscale homes with built in pools all the while getting social services. I remeber as a kid going on exotic vactions and being told that my new name is such and such. She had some kind of set up with credit cards i suppose. I no longer spreak to her as well as no one in the family speaks to her. She tried to con her own mother out of here social security. The odd thing is she still gets away with her con because people want to believe in the wonderfull personality she puts out.

Nabonidus said...

Wow! I'm sorry I didn't get back here until now, I was sick for awhile,for one thing.
You're doing great, getting it out there. You're so brave! So damned brave it's amazing!
It's Christmas eve right now, so I'm not going to get too heavy here today. xoxoxoLisa